We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

missing exe file help needed please

eysha1

Likes # 0

I have been trying to download and install service pack 2 without and luck. I have followed all instructions an even did a clean boot and a system restore without sucess. It tells me that the following file is missing, cannot access device,path or file. c:\7a903d07ba30418321690a\spinstall.exe

What is it and how do i get it? also each page on here tells me ther is a script error and do i want to stop it? That's two problems now.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

7a903d07ba30418321690a is the folder that sp2 unpacs to when you run the file

spinstall.exe is the file that auto runs from that folder to install sp2 files to the correct locations within vista

if the file is missing or corrupt it means you have a bad download of sp2

or possibly you do not have access rights to run it

try running in safe mode or from an elevated command prompt. Elevated command prompt

Open the Start Menu. Click on All Programs and Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit-Bat, done the elevated command prompt. Odd thing is every other prog that asks for permission is no problem, only this one. I have tried to get service pack 2 from the windows site and from the new updates too so not sure where else to get it from. Also since i have done a clean boot do i need to do anything there? I understood that things like AVG should be ticked but now nothing is ticked. Any idea about the script thing too on every page on here? Thanks fruit-Bat.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Just tried again with no luck, still gives same message. What now and how do i start the computer in safe mode, not tried that one. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

From that do i try again to install sp2? Do i have to do anyhting about the clean boot, as in tick anything?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Fruit-Bat, i did the safe mode and it didn't work. I am still getting the same message no matter what i do. Is there a cure? How can i get sp2? Many thanks. E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit-Bat, sorry for the late reply but didn't get an e-mail to say that you had replied so just found it. I have followed all your isntructions and didn't get an error message this time so i hope it has worked. How do i test that and find out that it did work? Very many thanks, you must be a computer wizard. E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Click on Start and then on Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see the System and Maintenance link. Instead, double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3.Click on the System link.

4.In the Windows edition area of the View basic information about your computer window you'll find see information about your version of Windows Vista, followed by the the service pack that's installed.

Note: If you don't have a Windows Vista service pack installed then you won't see anything at all. Unfortunately, Windows Vista doesn't specifically note it when you don't have a service pack installed.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Fruit-Bat, there was no step four offered but i did read that i still have service pack 1 with vista home premium. I did click on 'upgrade windows vista' but it looks like you have to pay for that so i didn't go further. It's a 32 bit operating system with 3.00 gb memory, incase that helps. Thanks. E.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...