We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

missing exe file help needed please

eysha1

Likes # 0

I have been trying to download and install service pack 2 without and luck. I have followed all instructions an even did a clean boot and a system restore without sucess. It tells me that the following file is missing, cannot access device,path or file. c:\7a903d07ba30418321690a\spinstall.exe

What is it and how do i get it? also each page on here tells me ther is a script error and do i want to stop it? That's two problems now.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit-Bat, i have ccleaner and use it frequesntly. will do as you say.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Are you an administrative user? Is there enough free space on the drive for the installer to unpack? Have you disabled your antivirus or failing to disable have you uninstalled it, rebooted and tried again? Have you any other antivirus programs installed specifically Norton or McAfee? Check Add/Remove programs for any remnants of either of these programs and remove if there are.

The user account you are trying to install SP2 under must be an admin account. Control Panel-Users.

The script error you are experiencing could be because your Java or Flash or both needs updating.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I beleive i am an admin as i am the only one using this computer. Yes i have lots of free space on the disk. I did disable AVG and rebooted and tried again several times now. I don't have any other programmes like this one. Java and Flash are updated. waht now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Still giving same problem try downloading

spinstall.exe here

and copy into C:\windows\system32 folder

overwrite the one that is in there if necessry.

then retry to install sp2

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Have you checked in Control Panel-Users to make sure your account is admin?

If you are then I would uninstall AVG completely, run CCleaner's reg cleaning bit, reboot and have another go.

You will be safe without AVG as long as you are only installing Vista Service Pack 2.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Fruit-Bat, i keep getting an error message when trying that link.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

You can also try disabling the useless piece of garbage that is UAC. Causes more problems than it solves in my opinion.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

for some reason the link will not work in the forum

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Still having no luck with this problem. Is there a solution or should i give up on it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows