We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

missing exe file help needed please

eysha1

Likes # 0

I have been trying to download and install service pack 2 without and luck. I have followed all instructions an even did a clean boot and a system restore without sucess. It tells me that the following file is missing, cannot access device,path or file. c:\7a903d07ba30418321690a\spinstall.exe

What is it and how do i get it? also each page on here tells me ther is a script error and do i want to stop it? That's two problems now.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Fruit-bat, after following your instruction i now have the following heading,

c:\950e52206470301239d14a92f45a\spinstall.exe

the rest of the message is the same as before about may not have permission.

What now?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Fruit-bat, i am now getting the following messge/heading

c:\950e52206470301239d14a92f45a\spinstall.exe

plus the same message as before about the permission thing. What now? E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

So you have re downloaded SP2 and its giving same message?

Disconnect from internet

switch off Antivirus and anti malware and retry

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

ok, only the heading changed to c:\950e52206470301239d14a92f45a\spinstall.exe

It is a different code but the message is the same about not having permission.

I will follow instructions again. Thanks E.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The header changes because every time it unpacks to a different temp folder in this case 950e52206470301239d14a92f45a

It sounds like you have similar problems as to when some people were trying to install SP3 to XP although I can find no one with your problem with SP2 and vista.

The XP SP3 solution was

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYLOCALMACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCURRENTUSER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subdirectories %windir%. /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

1. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.
Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Don't know how to make a copy of my registry. Where do i create the file?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Don't know how to make a copy of my registry. Where do i create the file?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

to back up the registry

search - regedit - file - export

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I ran AVG PC analyser and it told me i have 124 reg errors, 80 junk files,148 broken shortcuts. should i use and download PC tuneup? I have done all the rest you advised.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hate those tune up utilities most do more harm than good

the only reg cleaner I recommend is the one built into CCleaner,

I know its safe and doesn't report anything false in order to get you to pay for a pro version of the program.

Run the reg cleaner tool a few times until it stops finding any thing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...