We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Open windows, how many, does it affect performance

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have about eight windows open semi permanently on Firefox, is there any reason why not.

I keep all BBC tabs on one and use others for various distinct topics. Is there any reason to limit the number of windows open, it doesn't seem to affect the speed or stability.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Your assumption is not correct, I have eight WINDOWS open with at least ten tabs on each.

I have 400M of RAM memory and a 2Tb disc. Also running fibre optic at 40Mb which works very quickly, I don't know which of these factors are relevant.

It's just that I don't want to keep pulling things out of Bookmark and it reminds me of what I need to do if I keep them up alive otherwise they get buried and I don't do them.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I'm surprised your machine is coping with that many FFs running.

400M of Ram? do you mean 4Gb?

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Yes , sorry 4giga should have been, has capability of 8 but as I'm running 32 bit Win 7 theres no point.

I am running Firefox 18 Beta3. at the last look as I have it on auto upgrade.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

In itself having multiple tabs / windows open shouldn't really affect performance as long as you are still within the boundary of your memory (4GB) and not paging to disk.

However, any pages (within the tabs / windows) that have video clips / animated graphics or anything else actively playing will be consuming CPU cycles and may be a drag on performance.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...