We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet on PC with no internal wifi.

ronec

Likes # 0

I have a Dimension 3100 PC that I want to give my Grand Daughter. It was attached to the Internet via a yellow lead to a Router. She wants to use the pc in her bedroom and connect to her internet router via wifi. As there is no wireless adapter in the computer, will one of the USB wireless devices work? Sorry I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to computers and even worse when it comes to setting up Internet connections. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi tullie. That will work on the PC without having any kind of modem inside then??

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The item linked to is a USB "Wireless Network Adapter". It will connect wirelessly to the router, thereby emulating the ethernet cable connection that you've been using. Nothing else will be required.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc. I will get one ordered. Not the end of the world in price.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks