We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD fine in DVD recorder but smokes when connected via IDE cables to PC?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a DVD HD recorder that i use to transfer vhs videos to the HD to my PC. Today, i plugged it in using IDE cables to my PC and smoke started coming from the top of the HD.

I plugged it back in to my DVD recorder and now the DVD recorder wont start.

Is there any way that i can get data off this HD please?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Drive is most likely a 110 Volts drive that you plugged into 230 volts. Though Drives normally all work from 5 volts DC.

I can only think volts is the problem, as smoke came out I think you can say by by to the drive. though if the data is important you may be able to get a board off another drive that is same model number, so as to get at your data

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Woodchip

he's already swapped boards and managed to fry both + 2 HDD USB caddies

so sounds likes its siezed up in some way and therefore costly to retrieve anything from it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If they stand for some time the Read Head sticks to the plates and its hard if not impossible to free it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination