We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD fine in DVD recorder but smokes when connected via IDE cables to PC?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a DVD HD recorder that i use to transfer vhs videos to the HD to my PC. Today, i plugged it in using IDE cables to my PC and smoke started coming from the top of the HD.

I plugged it back in to my DVD recorder and now the DVD recorder wont start.

Is there any way that i can get data off this HD please?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Sigh! I swapped the board from the non-working HD with the identical working HD and used a new caddy.......and the same happened- there was a flashing sound from the power box connected to the lead of the caddy and a smell of burning.

Are there no other options left available to me now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looks like the motor is overloaded

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Give up all hope yeah whose hard drive burns, sorry but tell it like it is.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Get a new drive and restore from your backup assuming you have one

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi there! Well being as it was a DVD HD and spent 99% of it's time in it's DVD recorder case under the TV, I never made a back up (or thought to! Doh!)

So please can I ask is there ANYTHING i can do to get the data off this HD please? If, as Fruitbat says, the 'motor is overloaded', what can i do about this? Sorry for seeming desperate but there is some programmes on this HD that i'll never get again. Thank you in advance!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Troll.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi there! Well being as it was a DVD HD and spent 99% of it's time in it's DVD recorder case under the TV, I never made a back up (or thought to! Doh!)

So please can I ask is there ANYTHING i can do to get the data off this HD please? If, as Fruitbat says, the 'motor is overloaded', what can i do about this? Sorry for seeming desperate but there is some programmes on this HD that i'll never get again. Thank you in advance!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

the only way now is to take it to a data recovery company who will strip the platters in a clean room and extract the data .

It will cost you an arm and a leg (maybe both arms and legs) it is very expensive.

When you say programs I assume you are talking TV programs as it is from a HDD DVD player.

What programs?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Yes that's right. Basically some of the old VHS tapes that I had put on there and some other TV programmes from years ago, nothing unbelievably special but I really wanted them off the HD.

Thanks anyway!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Unless its stuff recorded on a home vhs video camera (I've still got one of those) then most Tv programs can be found on the likes of Youtube and old films etc. can be bought on DVD alot cheaper than trying to get them back off that drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK