We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HD fine in DVD recorder but smokes when connected via IDE cables to PC?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a DVD HD recorder that i use to transfer vhs videos to the HD to my PC. Today, i plugged it in using IDE cables to my PC and smoke started coming from the top of the HD.

I plugged it back in to my DVD recorder and now the DVD recorder wont start.

Is there any way that i can get data off this HD please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

smoke started coming from the top of the HD

Is there any way that i can get data off this HD please?

I doubt it, sounds as if you have burnt out the electronics at least.

I plugged it back in to my DVD recorder and now the DVD recorder wont start.

DVD HD recorder sometimes relies on some software on a hidden partition of the drive to run.

When swapping to a larger drive in a recorder the usual method is to image or the old drive to the new one.

If you have a spare drive it may be worth fitting to the recorder and see if it starts.

Make and model of recorder?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you. It is a LITE ON 5045. In the past i have tried starting it with other HDs and you are right- it requires specific software to run. However, it starts up fine with no HD in but obviously the meny shows no data.

So the HD is probably beyone repair?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

it may work if the drive fitted is formatted to FAT 32

Afraid the only way your likely to get info off the old drive is to buy one exactly the same and swap the electronics over and that may not work if the platters heads or motor id damaged.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Firmware for your machine here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Wow, thanks for that (as usual)!! Just out of interest, here is a pic of the faulty HD, I have ringed (rectangled, really) where the smoke came from:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/HD.jpg

Good that you should mention about getting a replica HD as i had two Liteons exactly the same so i do have one exactly the same.

Please can i ask how i would go about swapping the electronics? Is it complicated?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make sure you have everything off your working drive worth making an image of it just in case.

It should just be a matter of unscrewing the board and carefully disconnecting the ribbon cables.

Swap reconnect cables and screws.

I suggest you do not attach to your PC but instead put in a working caddy and connect via USB.

Hard to tell but I think the bits that you ringed are the voltage regulators.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you so much!!! I need to get one of those caddies. Ebay/Amazon?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Apologies for this, I have never done this before so please can i ask is this what you mean:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-Powered-External-Housing-black/dp/B006IRS2X6/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1355095790&sr=8-1

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Yes, that will do, don't forget you'll need a Torx T8 screwdriver. click here

Suspect you may have shorted the PCB when you connect it to the PC by touching the PC chassis accidentally.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Unfortunately (and stupidly) I got a bit eager when my new HD caddy and plugged in the faulty HD before swapping over the boards just to 'see if it works' (I said in my head), the result was a bang from the rectangular power unit that is connected to the plug and now the caddy doesn't work.

One new caddy coming next week. Let's hope im not so stupid again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks