We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi my OS is Windows 7 - 32 bit

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update. I went to my built-in sound card manufacturer and they said being as their drivers are just basic, I should go to the motherboard manufacturer, I did...

My Motherboard is...ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3

CLICK HERE this link should take you to the updates that they say my MO needs or can have, I'm confused as to what I should download. When I read what they're supposed to do, a lot of them seem say the same thing? Also none of those I read mention the sound card persay.

Can anyone throw some light on this please. I'm thinking that perhaps I should update the Chipset Drivers.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I think I may have stumbled on the problem, the little errors that have been occuring over recent days have, as of today, escalated. Any programme I switch on (including the Internet) is a struggle to run. Ironically though music plays fine, without any sound anomalies? I looked in the Events Manager and found a plethera of Errors all saying the same thing...

The device\Harddisk0\DRO, has a bad block - Event ID:7

I'm assuming this is my C drive. Is there anything I can do other than replace it. If this is all that I can do, I'll have to to clone it?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I would back up everything, including either a clone or an image if you have the software. Any HDD problem is a warning in my opinion and it sounds as it's getting worse. I wouldn't use it until you can clone. Once done try check disk Check your hard disk for errors

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes I did this...Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. But it scooted through this unusually quick and without showing or telling me anything, either during or when it had finished. So I went to the Western Digital (WD) SATA home site and downloaded a drive diagnostic called 'Data Lifeguard'. Before it ran it told me it could take up to 7 hours. When it started running it estimated it would take 32 hours, it actually took around 3 hours, I don't really know why they bother giving you a time if they're only guessing? Anyway when it finished it said that the drive was repairable. But I should do a back-up because some of the data might be lost in the repair. Backing up is what I'm doing now, actually I'm using the same PC and it's running fine at present, famous last words, I hope not!

I actually came on line to look at the price of getting a SSD, seen the prices, it's a bit rich for me at the moment. I'll stick with another SATA.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Why is it that both Acronis and HDClone saw my SATA HD as IDE?

Also, even the I've cloned the HD onto a new HD, the sound problem still hasn't gone away. I've done as suggested, changed the spakers and bypassed the subwoofer setup, by plugging the speakers directly into the new Sound Blaster Z sound card??

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

What make & model of speakers are you using?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

ICF

Initially when this started I was using Creative Labs Four Points Surround including a subwoofer, FPS1600. However I now believe this to be irrelevent, because what I'm now using is a pair of Excel Multimedia Series Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers. These are plugged directly into the sound card and I still have problem, which leads me to believe that the problem must lie in the PC itself. It can't be the sound card as it was doing it withe the Realek on board card and my present card is new.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September