We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi my OS is Windows 7 - 32 bit

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update. I went to my built-in sound card manufacturer and they said being as their drivers are just basic, I should go to the motherboard manufacturer, I did...

My Motherboard is...ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3

CLICK HERE this link should take you to the updates that they say my MO needs or can have, I'm confused as to what I should download. When I read what they're supposed to do, a lot of them seem say the same thing? Also none of those I read mention the sound card persay.

Can anyone throw some light on this please. I'm thinking that perhaps I should update the Chipset Drivers.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

rdave13

2x speakers and a sub woofer as this is what I'm using at present and have been for the past two years, since I bought the PC.

Woolwell

"What do you mean by sound fluctuation?"

Sometimes, when I start to play some music or a game the volume is very quiet, so I turn up the volume a little bit. Not too much though, because I know what's going to happen next! It'll be ok for a few minutes or so and then (without warning) the sound/volume will go too loud and I have to turn it down? Sometimes when I'm playing games it will go up and down, up and down, I leave it till I get fed up or the cat starts to freak out! But then on other days I get no trouble at all and initially I would think that it must have just one of those things, then it starts again?

The hub I'm using has got a power lead. It was ok for a while, But then the hub started playing up. After awhile and a lot of trial and error I discovered that it would only work correctly if I didn't use the external power lead, so I don't use it.

Chronos the 2nd

No problem, it isn't like your getting paid to help people, you and yours must always come first.

"you seem to be fixated with the PSU and or power supply. I suspect that if there were problems there then other aspects of the PC and other appliances would be affected"

Well actually I have been getting other problems, but I've managed to sort most of them out and they weren't PSU related. My last problem, bar this one is to do with my email client. That has always had issues, I think I'll have to uninstall and reinstall it for the umpteenth time. My only consolation is that it's the free version, although this might mean that it's a beta and thereby lies the problem.

Still, not to get side tracked, yes I must seem to have become fixated with the PSU and probably have. For two reasons, the first being that I've checked everything else I can think of. The second is that I've been looking into the minimum requirements to play online mmorpg's. As I want to be able to play Skyrim when it launches online this year and the PSU is a grey area.

Regarding the speaker possibility, I have got other speakers I could try, I haven't tried them yet, but I will now. But the reason I haven't added them into the aquation is that prior to November (when this started)nothing in the area has changed. They are two speakers and a sub woofer, from a set of 4 and a SW. I'll try the other two speakers from that set, I also have two sets of 2 independent speakers, I can try.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Your PSU will have little bearing on your ability to play Skyrim online as all it does is supply the necessary power to your PC's components. Your GPU is borderline I would have thought though.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry the above statement is not quite correct the PSU will have a bearing as although from a theoretical point of view the PSU shouldn't effect performance - either it will have sufficient power for the system or it will crash.

Also, when the CPU and graphics card are being stressed, such as when gaming, it may be not able to provide enough (clean)power. Low end PSU's (and some high end also) will begin to generate excessive AC ripple, or noise on the voltage outputs. This can 'confuse' the electronics which is using that supply. All PSU's produce a measurable amount of AC ripple, but it should be kept at a minimum (less than 0.1 volts). Another troublemaker is heat. As a PSU heats up it becomes less able to produce its rated power.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"Your GPU is borderline I would have thought though"

If neccessary I am prepared to upgrade my GPU, although I have been looking at GPU's to see if I can find one that can perform well accross two genres, that is Graphic Art and Games. When I bought this rig two years ago it was designed specifically for Art and Music. As I've already said I've just upgraded the sound card to one the covers both Music and Games.

However, my research has so far drawn a blank regarding a GPU that will perform equally well for both. All graphic processing units these days seem to be aimed primarily at games.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have a think about a GPU upgrade and get back to you.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

After a bit of research i have come up with the following.

For graphics you don't even need that much power to begin with. I your using Phostoshop, SketchUp and 3ds Max. All of them make more use of the CPU then the GPU. The GPU is only involved, when panning and resizing actually (i.e. redrawing the picture on the screen). Some Photoshop-filters can make use of the GPU like warping for example, but a GT640 with 2GB would be plenty already to accelerate these few tasks. Rendering in SketchUp and 3ds Max is still completely done by the CPU and profits most from more cores and higher clockspeeds, just like most Photoshop-filters.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Can you try another set of speakers to rule them out?Try plugging a set of headphones directly into the computer and see if the same thing happens?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

As yet I haven't had the time to check out my alternative speakers. but I just played a tune, I have the file on my desktop. I clicked on it as usual and it played without hiccup. A short while after it had finished, the Windows Media window, still being open, I clicked it so I could hear the track again. It usually just plays it again, but this time a pop-up window appeared saying...

'Windows Media Player has a problem and can't play that track again' (paraphrasing)

So I clicked the file directly and WMP started playing it again, but this time there was the sound anomaly. Could the problem be connected to WMP?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Might be useful to take note of the exact error message.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

hiwatt

Thanx for that idea, it would be easier than messing about with speakers, initially anyway. Next time I get the sound anomaly I'll give it a try. I'm playing music at the moment and it's fine, no sound problems what-so-ever? It's an enigma!

Chronos the 2nd

"2Might be useful to take note of the exact error message."

If I get it again I'll certainly pay more attention, although it has to be said, that was the first time it happened and as already mentioned...

"So I clicked the file directly and WMP started playing it again, but this time there was the sound anomaly."

but no warning message?!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers