We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi my OS is Windows 7 - 32 bit

My PC sound fluctuates, possibly need a driver update. I went to my built-in sound card manufacturer and they said being as their drivers are just basic, I should go to the motherboard manufacturer, I did...

My Motherboard is...ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3

CLICK HERE this link should take you to the updates that they say my MO needs or can have, I'm confused as to what I should download. When I read what they're supposed to do, a lot of them seem say the same thing? Also none of those I read mention the sound card persay.

Can anyone throw some light on this please. I'm thinking that perhaps I should update the Chipset Drivers.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi I've found the Realtek Audio Driver and I'm downloading that as I type.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is it the Version 5.10.0.6526&6.0.1.65 ? From here if the link works,
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/IntelSocket1155/P8H61M_LEUSB3/#download

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13

I'm sorry about the accessive delay in responding. But I had other issues (non PC) which prevented me from responding until now. Regarding your links (above) thanks for them however, at the point when you gave them, my PC was up to date. I've just looked again and now there are up dates for this year (2013) which I've downloaded and will install, after I've finished doing a system back-up.

Even though I now know that the trouble I was having with the sound can't be related to the need for up dates. Because, as I've already said all my drivers were up to date.

So what I did was to buy a Sound Blaster Z sound card. But the fluctuating sound still persists. My present thought is could it be power related. As it doesn't do it all the time, it makes me think that perhaps it isn't anything to do with my PC as such. But maybe the PSU (450w) isn't meaty enough.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

But maybe the PSU (450w) isn't meaty enough

What components have you? 450W should be enough for most PC's provided a high end GPU is not being run, but these days even they are less power hungry.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Nvidia GeForce GT 240 GPU

Intel Dual Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10GHz

4GB RAM

4 external HD's two of which get their power from the PC

A Wacom Graphics Tablet

Printer

But if it isn't the PSU I'm at a loss as to what it can be? It started at the end of November last year. As I said, it doesn't do it all the time, some days not at all. If it isn't the PSU I thought perhaps it could be the mains power that's going to the PSU. But I can't really see that, because it goes through a surge protector, unless it's that malfunctioning???!!. I just don't know.

Any ideas will be looked into.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

So, no ideas then?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you checked the speakers' configuration? Speaker icon in notification area, playback devices,right click speakers and select 'configure speakers'. Might be set to wrong audio channels, ie 7.1 surround when you might have 5.1 surround etc.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What do you mean by sound fluctuation? Is it volume or pitch or balance?

Can you try another set of speakers?

I don't like having external HD's powered by the PC and especially 2. I would use them through a powered hub.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry Graphicool1 have been a little busy filling out an ATOS questionnaire. Needs quite a bit of concentration.

Back too your problem,you seem to be fixated with the PSU and or power supply.I suspect that if there were problems there then other aspects of the PC and other appliances would be affected. Also problems are more difficile to pinpoint when they are spasmodic. I recently had a GTX 670 that would not show the desktop on a cold boot,press the reset button and my PC booted as it should. A I have a Dell U2712 and they can have problems with the Displayport connection but this also began to happen whilst connected via DVI. As the Dell has a lengthy warranty I had it replaced but no change. Cut a long story short moved to another motherboard and noticed that the card was not sitting quite flush one end caused by the IO shield being slightly bent. straightened it and have not had any problems since. But I was so close to trying to RMA the card. But initially this was a periodic problem.

So trying to pin down what is the cause of your sound drop out is going to be difficult. Is it possible to try other speakers? You say you have tried re-installing audio drivers but I do not think it is a driver issue. You also say you bought a sound card and the problems persists then that to me suggests a speaker problem as I can see no way an onboard sound issue could transfer to a sound card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...