We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

U.S. SCAM: WARNING CLAIMS IT'S FBI, FREEZES COMPUTER, WANTS $250. TO UNFREEZE !

teranell

Likes # 0

Young kid I know suddenly got full screen red pop-up claiming it's FBI, this computer is suspected of unlawful activity, will need $250. USD to unfreeze this computer.

He has laptop w/ Windows 7, his Norton anti-virus had run out, so he went a day or two w/out any protection - this is result.

Any advise on how he can deal with this without taking to shop or great expense? He can't even reformat, but can turn on and off.

Many thanks, Nell

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I've tackled a few of these infections before and they've always been easy to resolve - hopefully it'll be the same in your case:

Tell the young kid that he or she first needs to start the laptop in Windows 7's Safe Mode. Hopefully the laptop will bootup fine and that pesky FBI message won't appear. If so, the next step is to run System Restore and choose a date on the calendar when the laptop was running fine.

When the System Restore completes the laptop will restart normally. If everything looks fine then the last thing to do is to run an anti-malware scan to mop-up any (inactive) malware files that might remain. The free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is suitable for this job and is highly effective.

Lastly, get the kid to renew his Norton subscription or install another anti-virus program ASAP.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"...."and choose a date on the calendar.."

Sorry about that - Windows 7 doesn't doesn't use a calendar in System Restore. Instead, choose an available date from the list. If no suitable ones are shown, tick the box at the bottom to "Show more restore points" - see here for an example.

If System Restore can't be found via the Microsoft method I linked to above then it can be found via Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Full instructions and links to Malwarebytes etc. from here

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, at this stage I don't see the need to need to post such a complicated set of instructions. Getting a young user to manually edit the Registry like the instructions in your link could lead to disaster.

I reckon we ought to wait and see if my suggestion helps first as it's probably by far the quickest, easiest and safest method.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The easy instructions were there first with the links

It does say : Manual FBI Moneypak removal (special skills needed!):

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The easy instructions were there first with the links"

Sorry FB but I think it's badly written, incomplete, and confusing. Are you referring to steps 1 through to 4 at the top? If so then what do you make of step #3:

"In the meanwhile, reboot your infected machine to Safe Mode with command prompt and stick USB drive in it"

OK, so what do you do then?

And then the final step #4:

"Reboot computer infected with FBI ransomware once more and run a full system scan."

How can one run a full system scan when the infection has completely locked the computer?

I certainly wouldn't call any of that "easy" ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more