We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet speeds slow on pc but ok on laptop

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I recently got a new pc (very powerful) for gaming. it was brill at first but now internet speed has dropped to 20kb per sec!!!!!I checked the laptop with speed checker and that was fine (about 4mb/s)it's just the pc. I rang BT they cleared the line, did a speed check and it was back up again. tried to download something (15gb) 2 days ago and at 30% it froze but it was overnight so not sure what happened tbh. I cancelled the download and started again, it was at 54% this time then the internet dropped off again back to 20kb/s.... I'm back to square one. I am not able to get fibre optic and 4mb/s is about the best I can get in my area. I am not sure what to do. I have noticed something on the web about clearing my register but I'm not sure what that is for one and also I don't want to clear the register then download something and it happen again.

I have an uber powerfull pc to game on and can't download the games lol

I use a BThub *and have my PC hardwired with an ethernet cable, I have changed the cable but did nothing so I know it's defo something to do with the pc. the laptop is still running at normal speeds also, no drop off, just on my pc. Please help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK