We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cloud Storage

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just realised a need for cloud storage and like, I assume, many of you I have various options for this, all free, like MS, my ISP, Sky, BT, Google and so on.

Is there any option which is best?

I am toying with Google, no particular reason except I already have it on my phone.

Like this post
gasmonkey

Likes # 0

I cant tell you which one is best but I use the free google one and its great. The snyc feature is especially usefully, the only downside is it can slow the computer startup time a little if you have it set to loggin automatically but you can switch that off it you want and I guess it will solve the problem. Hope this helps a little.

Like this post
wbae

Likes # 0

I use Google (Drive) and Dropbox, both are fine and sync easily with a Tablet and Phone on Android.

However I would advise using Google with two step verification if you intend any private or sensitive information to be stored there.

I find Dropbox excellent for sharing photos with family, this can be set up with a security pin, a tip is to resize all photos you put up there, so they are around 100k-500k max instead of putting them straight from the Camera, this does not use your FREE space up too fast.

wbae

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I use Microsoft's SkyDrive, which is excellent. I also make extensive use of DropBox when working with clients.

To be honest, if all you need is storage so you can have access to files when you move around, any cloud provider will do. If you want to work collaboratively with other people via the Cloud it can get a little more involved, especially if several people are working with the same files.

'The Cloud' is just a fancy name - what you are actually doing is uploading your files to someone else's server, and downloading them again at some point in the future. Don't use The Cloud if all you want to do is archive stuff - it's far better to use removable media for that. If all you need is a few gigabytes of file storage you can use a memory stick and carry it around with you.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thank you all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......