We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need to reinstall XP home

skippytibb

Likes # 0

hi guys, my computer has got me the the point where i need to re-install my original xp home disc. will i have to download EVERY update from day one!!! or is there another way? . also are there any do's and dont's snags etc when doing a reload? cheers for any help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

will i have to download EVERY update from day one!!!

that depebds onwhat disk you have . how old is the machine?

my 7 yr old machine came with a XP sp1 home CD

sp3 contains all previous updates aand then install all updates since sp3.

Clean install windows XP

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/xphomeinstall/xphomeinstall_part1.html

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwinxp.htm

http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/WinXPInstall1.htm

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image from Microsoft.com

ignore the part where it advises you not to download for just one computer.

Like this post
Bobthegoat

Likes # 0

The biggest dont is not saving anything on your computer you dont want to delete to another hard drive or another "partition" on the hard drive your reinstalling on or DVD disks or something. The hard drive > partition you are reinstalling on will have everything deleted.

The second big dont is reinstalling a laptop without assistance. Many laptops are a struggle to find drivers for and unless you know what you are doing this can sometimes be close to impossible.

Otherwise you should be fine. Just reinstall + reinstall from CD or the internet your motherboard > graphics card drivers from their website. Possibly sound card drivers too if you have a non-onboard sound card.

Like this post
skippytibb

Likes # 0

this is all sounding a BIT beyond me. i think i might have to leave well alone. i thought it was just a matter of reloading the disc as it was in the beginning. obviously saving what i want ( pics etc ) and putting on later. thanks for your advice though.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

It would probably help if you could say why you feel the need to reinstall Windows XP and what your machine is.

There is a process called "repair install", but whether this solves whatever problem you've got is dependent on the problem!! Repair Install can preserve your programmes and data, but don't bank on it, still back up!

A full reinstall will wipe everything on the C Drive. The normal routine is to:

Back up all the data - Photos, music, documents, emails, Internet favourites etc you want to keep. If you don't know how, then don't pass this point. This is a good thing to do anyway as hard discs can fail at any time

Then check for the drivers for your machine; the manufacturer's web site is usually the place to go. Get these downloaded and onto a USB stick.

Make sure you have all the programmes you want to use as these will need to be re-installed.

Then you can start the re-install.

If all this sounds daunting, it's meant to. Unless you know what you're doing, or can afford to be without use of the computer whilst you're fiddling around with it, don't start! I do know what I'm doing, still allow a whole day for the task and have other computers around so I can access things I've forgotten to download or if I need help!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014