We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I need help choosing a tablet

bexter08

Likes # 0

Hi, I want to get a tablet in the near future. My budget isn't really that big, but I want to get something that will last me for a LONG time. I do want a big screen, but not the 10+ in. I want to use my tablet for games and everyday internet usage. I kinda would like for it to replace my comp if possible. Also I love to watch movies, play games, and write. I know...it's a weird combination.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Hi.

We have reviewed all the main and most of the minor tablets here at PC Advisor.

There's also a Which tablet should I buy feature that may be of help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Just to add to the advice you have already been given above - I kinda would like for it to replace my comp if possible. It will be an addition to what you already have but tablets aren't designed to be a replacement for either a PC or Laptop.

Like this post
wbae

Likes # 0

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 16gb (first issue), and have just bought my wife a Nexus 7 32gb, depending on your preferred screen size I can recommend them both, 10.1 is excellent for watching TV live and catchup, Nexus does live TV but not catchup yet, I find I am not using my Computer much these days, needed only if lots of typing required, or photo editing.

Quality of above tablets is excellent

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I would agree with wbae, I have the ORIGINAL Samsung Galaxy 10.1 with WiFi and 3G. I find it very useful but NOT a replacement for a PC.

Like this post
bexter08

Likes # 0

I was wondering if I should get a Samsung or a Apple. I'm not a big fan of Apple, but if it was the best then I would check it out. But looks like I might check out the Samsung.

Like this post
wbae

Likes # 0

After having an ipod for some years, and being tied to itunes for backups etc. I decided to give Android a go on my phone and Pad last year, it has come on in leaps and bounds, and allows you to control what is installed, not APPLE, the flexibility of which I like.

The quality of build and screen resolution is acceptable and will easily last for the two years before it is out of date, and you crave for the latest ..

wbae

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I have mentioned elsewhere that the new Samsung 10.1 with pen is very good. I know you did not want a 10" screen but in the long run it may be beneficial and be a step nearer replacing your pc. Particularly if you want to do a lot of typing/browsing, the keyboard is bigger of course.

It still will not replace mine, as I need a laptop to take away, but it certainly makes emailing and browsing a pleasure when combined with my Wi-Fi dongle.

At present some of the on demand channels are unavailable, I was told by Samsung this is because they will be included on an update. Sky go is also promising but not delivering because they only operate on android 2.

This is the only drawback I can find after 2 months use. The S pen is very useful.

In Cardiff they have a pop up stall demonstrating all the main Samsung gadgets, including cameras. They do not sell so you can play for as long as you like, perhaps there is one near you.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

I also am thinking about a tablet, but they all seem to have the battery built in and not replaceable. Is it considered that a 2 year life is all one can expect? bexter08 wants one to last a LONG time!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?