We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook 2010 very, very slow downloading emails

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am running Outlook 2010 as my email program on a PC with Windows 8 and Norton Internet Security 2013.

Normally Outlook works perfectly but every so often it will indicate that I have, for example, 3 emails to download with a combined size of, say, 34kb. It will start to download very, very slowly showing initially about 34b, which increases very slowly indeed but never ever manages to complete the download. They would normally have downloaded in a matter of seconds. My ISP is O2 and if I go to their web mail page the emails download perfectly and instantly.

I have tried disabling Norton Anti-Spam but it makes no difference.

At the moment it is working perfectly:-(

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I came across this in an article that may help:

"Try to enable only the headers

By default, Outlook 2010 downloads both the emails and the attachments for every folder. As a result, users with mailboxes larger than 1 GB may find that Outlook takes a long time to download their messages. Previous versions of Outlook only downloaded the message headers by default. This setting was changed in Outlook 2010 to allow the program to index all content and display information about the emails and attachments each contact has sent Follow these steps to change this setting to only download the message headers to speed up Outlook:

Run Outlook 2010.
Click the Send/Receive tab.
Click Send/Receive Groups and select Define Send.Receive Groups.

This will allow you to edit settings for send/receive groups.

Select All Accounts and click Edit.
Click the Download headers for subscribed folders option.
Click OK.
Click Close.  "
Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for that.

I should have said I tried that as well and it loaded the headers instantly but when I tried to download the remainder of the email the same problem arose and they never fully downloaded.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

electronic snail mail....

Like this post  
JEB62

Likes # 0

I am experiencing identical problems. Outlook 2010; Windows 8; Norton and Virgin Media e-mail

Like this post
jmfauteux

Likes # 0

I am experiencing the same issue. Very, Very slow starting at 34b...

I also seem to have a possible related problem; when this occurs, I try rebooting the computer and Windows goes to the "Shutting down" screen and stays there.

I end doing a cold boot with the power button and once I am logged in, doing a restart.

Everything is working again (for a while).

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Maybe it's a coincidence but I have dumped Windows 8 and gone back to 7 and haven't had the problem since.

Like this post
JEB62

Likes # 0

I also have the same problem in respect of re-booting the computer. I select restart and it just 'hangs' and I too have to use the power button. A few gremlins in Windows 8. Is this and the e-mail issue connected ? I jus don't know

Like this post
jmfauteux

Likes # 0

I am not running Windows 8.

Windows 7 Pro (32-bit)

Like this post
MercuryPA

Likes # 0

I am experiencing the exact same problem as the original post - except I'm using Norton 360. I'd also love some help!

Like this post
suemary99

Likes # 0

Did anyone resolve this other than going back to Windows 7 or downloading only headers? I have exact same problems. Loads in bytes not kb. If headers only downloaded then contents take forever. Restart hangs. I have no idea what to do - any ideas out there?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...