We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Do I Get Rid Of Windows 8

dazzawm

Likes # 0

Hi have got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it - I hate it! How do I put windows 7 on it? It just won't boot from the disc I have. I have used the disc many times before but it just won't boot from the disc. I have gone into the bios and changed the boot order but it keeps going into 8. Thanks.

• Tags:
Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

I'd recommend making an image (to an external HDD) of your existing install before doing anything. That way you should, at least, be able to get back to where you currently are if the W7 path goes belly up.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

Ok using lotvics idea I reset bios defaults and I can now boot from DVD. However, it says I cant load O/S on because it is GPT or something but after looking into it GPT supports Windows 7.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

I have a big hard drive so I thought I would partition it and put 7 on alongside 8, but then I encounter the above problem.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

Any ideas on this GPT hurdle anyone please?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Is your Windows 7 disk 32-bit or 64 bit?

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

Well the only way I managed to do it was by installing easeUS partition manager then delete all partitions, then rebooting and installing Windows 7.

A couple of small problems. Windows 7 is on C and I have spare space on D. But I also have B that says System Reserved and it says 71mb free of 99.9mb. But when I click on it it appears empty. What is it? Can I get rid of it?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

W7 will create that 100mb small partition to put some of its boot files on and the recovery/repair option menu. If you don't want it then you have to install W7 onto a pre-formatted partition and then that data will be put on C: same as rest of W7 files. It was designed that way, don't ask me why....

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No need to remove it.If you are fed up with it download this. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

It puts the start button and all programs and switch off back on.

Not as good as W/7 but better for you if having trouble using W/8 the way it is.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

I will use this until I find a fix but I really want to format it and put Windows 7 on. My DVD drive is not in the list of boot options just my hard drive. I have a feeling it has something to do with the UEFI and Legacy in the bios but I have tried all the combinations.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......