We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How Do I Get Rid Of Windows 8

dazzawm

Likes # 0

Hi have got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it - I hate it! How do I put windows 7 on it? It just won't boot from the disc I have. I have used the disc many times before but it just won't boot from the disc. I have gone into the bios and changed the boot order but it keeps going into 8. Thanks.

• Tags:
Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No need to remove it.If you are fed up with it download this. http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

It puts the start button and all programs and switch off back on.

Not as good as W/7 but better for you if having trouble using W/8 the way it is.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

I will use this until I find a fix but I really want to format it and put Windows 7 on. My DVD drive is not in the list of boot options just my hard drive. I have a feeling it has something to do with the UEFI and Legacy in the bios but I have tried all the combinations.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

I think you might need to do this to be able to boot from the Windows 7 disk:

•Open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. •Click on "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side. •Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". •Uncheck "Enable Hybrid Boot" at the bottom an option, under Windows shutdown settings.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'm thinking of the terminology in the beta versions of Win 8.

In the release version the option you should uncheck is called 'Turn on fast start-up'.

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

All that seems to do is give me more time to go into the boot menu. Thats not the issue the issue is no matter what I try it won't boot from my Windows 7 disc.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You will have to go into the Bios and change the first Boot to CD.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Oops sorry you have already tried that.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you tried resetting Bios back to Default setting?

Like this post
dazzawm

Likes # 0

Yes it does recognise the disc when I am in windows 8. The laptop is a Lenovo G580. Someone please help me get rid of this c* O/S, it is so frustrating!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"... I have a feeling it has something to do with the UEFI..."

That's my suspicion too - it's the new "Secure Boot" mechanism that prevents the installation of other operating systems that's causing this issue. You should however be able to disable it the laptop's BIOS.

However, because you've got a laptop, ensure that you can source all the Windows 7 drivers for your laptop before you continue with this. Check the manufacturer's website for downloads available for your specific model. If can't get all the drivers then you'll risk ending up with a Windows 7 installation with only some of the hardware working and you'll be even more disappointed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?