We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD disc will not play

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I bought the Radio City Christmas Spectacular DVD after being present at the Show a few days ago. I was assured that the disc was "playable in the UK". However, it won't play on my Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player, asking me to "check the region code".

Don't know anything about this - and I'd appreciate any help in finding the code, changing it if possible, and getting the disc to play - or have I no chance of this?

Oddly, it does play through my computer - but I really want it to play through my Disc Player which is connnected to my TV!

Any help would be welcome.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Region setting There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system: - 1 in the DVD drive - 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management. - 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!. An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares. On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo http://discinfo.rpc1.org/ or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/ or DVD Region Killer http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/DVD%20region%20killer%20v2.7.0.2.exe (the later is highly recommanded).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, Does your info refer to the computer or the Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player connected to the TV?

Yimbo says it plays ok on the computer, it's the player connected to tv that won't.

Is there any way to copy contents to computer and reburn a copy that will be okay on independent player? (or am I talking nonsense....)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

DVD players bought in this country may be hard or software set to Region 2

(USA region 1) you often can find hack on the net to make your player region free (0) for example

Samsung BD-D5500 Multiregion Hack 1. Make sure no disc or usb stick is inserted in the blu-ray player. 2. Turn on your your blu-ray player. 3. When the main menu appears, press the REPEAT button followed by the region code your blu-ray player is currently locked to depending on which country you are in (eg: in the UK/Europe press "REPEAT 5 7 5 3 8"). 4. In the top right corner you will see your region code flash (eg: 2 for UK). 5. Press 9. 6. Turn off and on and your Samsung BD-D5500 is now region free.

So to recap, after pressing REPEAT, please enter one of the following codes that matches your current region lock:

1 – 2 9 3 3 4 (US) 2 – 5 7 5 3 8 (Europe) 3 – 5 6 7 3 2 (South East Asia) 4 – 7 6 8 8 4 (South America) 5 – 5 3 8 1 4 (India, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa) 6 – 2 4 4 6 2 (China)

9 - Region Free

So you need model number to search for a hack

a software hack can be installed via the USB port if fitted.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

First - let me thank you, Fruit Bat//0\ for your patient, helpful and detailed response to my problem! I really appreciate the time and effort you've given to it. Also your post, lotvic which raises an interesting possibility - i.e. copying the disc!

My Samsung Blu-Ray Player model is BD-P1600 - so would I be able to follow your example with my particular Player?

Thanks again for all you imput!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its the same hack for the BD -P 1600

Like this post  
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat//O\ - - I am very grateful for all your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...