We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backup of My Book World Edition NAS Drive

jlp

Likes # 0

I currently have a WD My Book World Edition NAS drive. I use the supplied "Anywhere Backup" software to backup to it from my family laptops (Itunes, pictures, documents etc.) .

What I want to do is move this data from the laptops onto the NAS drive. Then buy another external disk, plug this into the NAS drive's usb port and backup the NAS to this.

Should I buy a drive that has backup software built in like the WD My Book Essential- and will this back up the NAS? Or should I buy an ordinary drive - in which case how can I make it back up my NAS?

Thanks for any help of advise (or direction to useful references) you can give.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

From this Click here

One feature we would have liked to see included with the bundled software or built into the device's firmware is the ability to automatically backup contents stored on the NAS device to a USB hard drive connected to the NAS device's USB port. Other available applications do support this, however, such as 2BrightSparks' free SyncBack Freeware software.

Click here for SyncBack Free V6 DOWNLOAD

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I'm about to buy a wd my book live a server for myself and son who lives elswhere in the world to use as cloud storage(Free except cost and no monthly fees),to do a belt and braces job i use Acronis to back up to a bare external drive both laptop and desktop,hence main drive goes belly up all i do is change drive on either of them,it works for me and gives me peace of mind.

Like this post
jlp

Likes # 0

Thanks for the updates. I guess what I was trying to get to was - is there any way I can get the new external hard drive to backup the contents of the NAS drive it is connected to - without the intervention of any of my laptops? Would the software on a WD My Book Essential do this.

Lazarus the 2nd - would the Syncback software do this - or would it need to be installed on a windows machine and initiate the backup from there?

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
cdntinpusher

Likes # 0

WD Anywhere doesn't support backup of its own NAS to an external USB drive, AFAIK, it installs on your laptop or PC and monitors their drives for changes which it backs up to the NAS. Not much use if, like me, you store no data at all on your laptop HDD and store it all on the NAS. As indicated, you can set an external program to run on your laptop/PC to backup the NAS to another hard drive either connected to the NAS or your laptop/PC (assuming it's mapped in the latter case), but in which case your laptop has to be awake for the backup to run.

The only NAS I've found so far that supports independent backup of the NAS to an external USB portable drive is the Buffalo Linkstation. I'd be interested if anyone knows of any other (reasonably priced) NAS's that can do this.

Like this post
cdntinpusher

Likes # 0

WD Anywhere doesn't support backup of its own NAS to an external USB drive, AFAIK, it installs on your laptop or PC and monitors their drives for changes which it backs up to the NAS. Not much use if, like me, you store no data at all on your laptop HDD and store it all on the NAS. As indicated, you can set an external program to run on your laptop/PC to backup the NAS to another hard drive either connected to the NAS or your laptop/PC (assuming it's mapped in the latter case), but in which case your laptop has to be awake for the backup to run.

The only NAS I've found so far that supports independent backup of the NAS to an external USB portable drive is the Buffalo Linkstation. I'd be interested if anyone knows of any other (reasonably priced) NAS's that can do this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...