We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows update problems service pack 2

eysha1

Likes # 0

I am running vista on a Toshiba laptop. Windows advised an update so when installing the Vista service pack 2 it ended by saying it had encountered an unknown problem - code 5, whatever that is, so it didn't install. I have been trying to update to internet explorer 9 without luck and did post a help request here but it didn't work unfortunately. I am not wonderful so any help would be grat with easy directions please. Many thanks. E.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Error code 5 usually crops up when access is denied. Try to install the SP2 again this time right-clicking on the update before you press install and choosing the Run as Administrator option.

If you resolve this then you may find that IE9 will install.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Tried right clicking but it doesn't work. Nothing listed for administrator. It only says Copy Update or hide updates. What now?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Got it downloaded to my computer and right clicked to run as administrator but it gives the same message -

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate pemission to access the item.

What can i do now?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

The programme downloads from the site given ok to my download folder on the computer but it won't install as it gives that message. I have AVG.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks DR YES, i followed all your isntructions to no avail. I keep getting the same message as above. Added to that i now get 'a script is running on this page that slows down internet explore...' That's new. No idea what to do now apart from maybe a system restore, would that help do you think? I am not getting e-mail to say you have reply either hense the late reply to yo.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Also tried a system restore as far back as i could but still tells me i do not have the apropriate permission - again. I am really lost here. Have tried all suggestions and still no good. Any ideas now?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer