We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I recover data from a corrupted DVD?

ardeebee

Likes # 0

I used Ashampoo Burning Suite 2010 to add data to an existing DVD. Now the earlier data is lost(i.e. it is not visible to photo software programs) Only the new data is visible & readable. An evaluation copy of ISOBUSTER is able to "see" the earlier files (sessions) but will only recover them if a licence fee is paid. The lost files are not particularly valuable hence I do not wish to pay the rather high licence fee for what, hopefully, will be a single use. I am sure that I had a magazine cover "freebie" software that would enable recovery of such files/earlier sessions but unfortunately I am unable to locate this. Is anyone aware of any free software that will recover such "lost" files/sessions, please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/cd_recovery.html its supposed to be free but just watch for any add ons to untick when installing.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks for the prompt response. I've tried this one, and a few others, already but they all seem to be designed mainly to recover data from discs with physical damage to the disc surface (i.e. scratches etc). It did not show the missing data. Of those I've tried, ISOBUSTER is the only one able to read the missing data but, as I've said, it will only recover it at a significant cost!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

if so use isobuster, highlight the files, right click on them and choose extract. save them somewhere on your hard drive and then you should be able to use them.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks but I've tried that and it responds with a message saying that this is not available until the licence fee is paid!! Clearly ISOBUSTER is not the answer so I'm looking for something similar - but free! Looks like I might be unlucky.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I haven't tried CD Recovery Toolbox Free but worth a try, just check, when you download, for any boxes that need unticking etc for those pesky toolbars or Chrome even.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have checked Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link first, apologies. You could try Recuva, http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks. Have installed Recuva which does look a useful programme to have on board. Unfortunately though, the CD/DVD drive is the only place within "Computer" that cannot be selected when searching for missing files, so it could not help in this case. Tried it on a memory stick and it successfully recovered a deleted 25 minute video file. Impressive. Thanks again.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

This has worked for me in the past

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier 5.2

and there's a portable version

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier 5.2 Portable

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Something to try. Run BS 10 and insert the disc. In FILE select backup or restore files and folders, select backup files and folders, expand computer on the left and select the CD drive. Do you see all the folders now? If you do you could backup to a usb drive. I don't know if it's available on the 10 version though.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

Thanks bluesbrother. have already tried this without success. Thanks rdave13. Didn't know about this. It is available in Version 2010 but unfortunately the missing files are still not visible - so no luck again. I guess I'm just going to have to accept that they're beyond my reach as I'm not prepared to pay the high licence fee for a once-off use of ISOBUSTER.

Thanks again to you all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data