We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 disappeared from my PC!

athenrye

Likes # 0

Yes I know it doesn't sound right! I upgraded from vista to windows 8 on my dell vista pc, it's been working great and really responsive and fast compared to vista...

I came in last night and started my pc, it seemed to go through the set up install procedure like on the upgrade, colour changes and info on swiping etc (I went for a shower after 5 min) thought it would correct itself

When I got to the start / tile screen there wasn't any tiles, all I had was the windows account pic top right, I went to the home screen and I haven't got access to windows 8, it's just plain blue with a swirl where the tiles should be...

I've removed my hard drive and used a dock station and I can access all my pics and docs and stuff on my laptop, so it seems to be working okay

What should I do now, all I can do on the pc is start and shutdown, it seems I don't have an operating system! I upgraded it through windows direct and have a windows 8 disk...

Any ideas?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What happens when you just click on the Home Screen?

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

Home screen is my task bar screen? I've just got a recycle bin, nothing else

The start tiles screen hasn't got anything either... Just my log in picture account icon on top right

I'm on laptop the now, stripped the hard drive out and accessed it in a doc

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This sounds like a corrupt profile, anyway you can create a new profile?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"What should I do now, all I can do on the pc is start and shutdown"

I have to admit it all sounds quite serious but here are a couple of suggestions for you:

1) Try a Windows 8 "System Restore" and choose the most recent date when you know the PC was running fine. To access it, hold down the left shift key and click on the usual "Restart" option. Your PC should quickly boot into the "Troubleshoot" environment. Next click on "Advanced Options" then "System Restore".

2) I've a feeling the above won't work so plan B would be to consider the "Refresh your PC" option that's on the Troubleshoot home screen. However, before clicking the "next" button, note what it says in the "Here's what will happen" section as it implies you may lose some installed programs. If this doesn't sound like an ideal solution then wait and see if anyone else has a better idea.

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

Hello Athenrye, HAve you tried putting the upgrade disk in and choosing "repair computer" option and then choosing startup repair? This is a handy utility and can often resolve many issues. Regards

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

Hi folks

I went and tried a system refresh, wouldn't Le me do it as I was missing files, had to put in my disk! Took 20 minutes to refresh, it's now working but I've lost all my apps / programmes...

Hey ho that's the way them plum falls I suppose! Just wondering if its worth the hassle re installing them for it to happen again anytime soon!

I've got all my files so it wasn't. A waste of time!

Thanks for all the help

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

1 long beep 3 short , sounds like possible memory failure. this may be the root cause of your problems

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

oopsie , wrong thread , DOH ! sorry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...