We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using laptop on the move?

bturner

Likes # 0

I am subscribed to the BT homehub.

In a couple of weeks time I plan to drive up country a couple of counties looking at properties.

Is there anyway I will be able to use my laptop in the car?

I unserstand there are BT hotspots around the UK but I wont be near any large towns.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The only way to use a laptop away from places that provide WiFi is to buy a PAYG broadband mobile dongle. Most of the main players sell them.

Have a look here.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

And some info on hotspots

here

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

onthelimit, many thanks for the link regarding wifi spots.

A dongle is a great idea, that will be ideal.

I saw a documentary a couple of years ago where it was reported that people could park on a housing estate and connect to wireless broadband that someone had in their house, is that a myth?

Of course I would never want to do that but often wonder if someone is using my wireless connection from my home without me knowing about it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'is that a myth'

It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft!

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you again, I think a dongle will be just fine.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"It is true if their broadband is unsecured - most people these days (particularly in a housing estate) will have security. Anyway, if you connect to their signal it's theft"

BT have a system where, in addition to providing users with a secured WiFi connection, their routers also broadcast an unsecured signal which is available to any other BT broadband customers. Additionally, a connection to the unsecured network is available to non-BT customers by purchasing a daily or weekly subscription to the service.

Recently, when away from home in an area where I couldn't get a 3G signal, I was able to get online via someone's BT router by purchasing a weekly subscription from BT. This use of someone else's router is, of course, quite legal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen