We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nightmare with friends/contacts emails bouncing back

Mjones68

Likes # 0

Hello,

I’m really, really hoping that someone can help me as I’m at my wits end with an email problem. My apologies for the long text.

About 6 – 8 weeks ago, I started to hear from some friends that emails that they were sending to me were bouncing back with error messages. I didn’t think much of this, until about 4 weeks ago, when I realised that some important emails from clients were also not arriving…….as you can imagine a nightmare scenario for anyone in business.

I was able to retrieve a copy of the error message from one of my clients and a friend, who both sent these messages to my wife’s account. My wife also couldn’t send these onto me, with the body of the message in the email as these would bounce back to my wife’s account, but after she’d pasted the error message into a word document, she was able to email these onto me, with the word document attached to the email.

I then took this up with ‘Network Solutions’, who hold my domain name/email account to check if they were blocking some of the emails coming to me or if they were being put in a spam folder. The first person that I spoke to checked over the email error messages that I sent to them and told me that this was a known problem that ‘Network Solutions’ were having with ‘Spamcop’. She said that I could add the email addresses to a white list and they should then arrive. I told her that this was not at all ideal, as I am approached by new clients all of the time and how can I add email addresses to a white list, when I don’t even know in advance who will contact my business. Anyway, she did add one of my friends to the white list. Unfortunately, my friends emails still bounced back to him.

I then contacted ‘Network Solutions’ again and this time, the person told me that the problem was not with ‘Spamcop’ but was with the people who were sending me the emails. I told her that I found this strange, as I knew of over 10 contacts, who now could not reach me by email, as all of their emails bounced back. Also, some of these contacts were major international ‘blue chip’ organisations and I found it hard to believe whey the emails were bouncing back from very large companies.

My set up is that I’m British, but live in Portugal and as mentioned above, I have a ‘Network Solutions’ email address/domain. Emails are sent to this and then I pull them in via the Portuguese ISP into Outlook. I have a feeling that the problem could be with my Portuguese ISP (Sapo) blocking something, but I am totally confused how this could be possible, as when I go directly into my ‘Network Solutions’ email account on line, I still don’t see any of the emails, so they are not arriving there, hence why I can’t understand how my Portuguese ISP could be blocking these.

One last thing that I did notice a few weeks ago, was that I seemed to be receiving more Portuguese spam (I rarely had this before) and also failure notice messages from accounts that I did not send messages to, which made me feel that possibly my computer/email account had been hijacked and was sending out emails that I was not aware off. I thought that this might have something to do with the problem.

I’m extremely frustrated and worried about all of the above, as it is negatively impacting on my business.

I would really, really appreciate if someone could help and will of course happily forward on the bounce back error messagaes if anyone had the time to have a quick look at my problem for me.

My email address is mt@michaeltiernan.com (I do still receive a few emails to this address, it's possibly only about 10% that seem to be bouncing back to the sender)

Thanks very much in advance,

Michael

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Your issue does appear to be with Spamcop / Network solutions as e-mails are not arriving at your server.

Is there a setting on your account with Network solutions to forward e-mail if so try setting up a hotmail account and set to forward mail to that address. This might work, it depends at what point the incoming mail is getting flagged as spam and bounced.

Can you still send OK?

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Part 2

Change your passwords for your e-mail account, network solutions log in and local ISP.

Double check settings on your PC that you haven't accidentally added any of the senders to a blocked list - doubtful, but worth just checking.

Like this post
Mjones68

Likes # 0

Hi JollyJohn,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but I’ve been busy going through all of the stuff that you recommended.

Starting with, “am I still able to send email”. Yes I can, but I presume this shouldn’t have ever been a problem in any case, as all of my email is sent from outlook through the ‘Sapo’ (Portuguese ISP) outgoing mail server ‘smtp.sapo.pt’

I’ve changed the password for my email account and will change the password for our Portuguese email account when I’ve heard back from Sapo support. Unfortunately, as we signed up for it a few years ago, I’ve mislaid the email address password and they’re not able to send this to me automatically.

I also spoke to Network solutions again and for a change, I spoke to an extremely helpful support person, who checked the Network Solutions Spam folder for the last 7 days. The spam folder seemed to be clear of legitimate email. Unfortunately, Network Solutions don’t offer their basic subscribers the ability to check the spam folder themselves, unless I take out a more expensive product, which I might end up doing if the problem persists.

I’m going to see how I get on with the changes that you suggested I make (possibly forwarding the email on to a hotmail account as well) and come back to the forum if the problem persist.

Thanks again for all of your help, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Michael

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

What happens if you send an e-mail from yourself to yourself?

Like this post
Mjones68

Likes # 0

Hi Compumac,

I've tried sending messages to myself and they always come through without any problems.

Thanks,

Michael

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen