We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transferring password protected files from Word to Pages

pollpott
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have lots of password protected Word docs on an external HD which I need to open in Mac Pages but I only get a message saying they are password protected with no option to enter the password and so I cannot open them. Any suggestions please?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think the only way would be to remove the password protection from the document.

But you might get other suggestions here. Pages Forum.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I don't know how to do that but I will check out the link you sent, thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

How do I turn the password protect off in a Word Document?

Go to Tools Options Security and delete it. Bit more here.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help. I think the only way is to deal with each one individually and remove the password on a windows pc then email it and open it on the Mac.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Pollpot

I have no problems with password protected Word documents in Pages. It simply asks for the password and opens.

What versions of each are you using?

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Hi Bremner, sorry for the delay in replying I am using word 2007 and word 2010. Some files are older and were written using the earlier version, some mre recent and use 2010. The main problem is that when I try to open one on the Mac, Moutain Lion version, it doesn't even ask for a password it just comes up with can't import, password protected. Any thoughts?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I do not know why I can and you can't but you could try downloading and installing OpenOffice (free) for the Mac and see if that opens the file.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I tried that but it didn't work. I am thinking of buying word for mac but the reviews I have looked at are not that good.

Like this post
Harina54

Likes # 0

I know a password recovery tool called SmartKey Password Recovery. Maybe you can have a try. It seems from recoverlostpassword.com Or maybe you Google Search it. Good luck.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

Not being able to access the files became intolerable so I downloaded a trial copy of office for mac and that works fine so I guess thats the answer. Thanks for taking the time to post suggestions, cheers.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...