We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I revert to Windows 7 from Windows 8?

JoanSims

Likes # 0

Hi,,, Like a lot of people I blundered blindly into the £24.99 upgrade on my PC... And like a lot of people I find it is a completely childish effort in comparison to the much more grown-up Windows 7. No wonder the chap who led the W8 team left Microsoft!.. However what's done is done and I want to go back to Windows 7 64bit SP1... I have spotted a file called WindowsOld created on the day I installed W8 which I'm told is a good thing, Plus I have my Genuine Windows 7 DVD and Key... Please could someone be kind enough to tell me how to do it step by step and at the same time put my PC back into the same state as it was before this disaster by MS... Many thanks

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Try restore,but if the worst comes to the worst you may have to do a fresh install of Win7 (Save your data first). I have Acronis and one a week do a clone of my drives laptop/desktop then if i do like you did i just replace my drive with the cloned one,i'm then back to normal so to speak.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The best way is just to use your Windows 7 DVD and do a complete reinstall making sure that you have copied all your personal stuff over first.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Joan Sims

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

It works for reverting back to severn from eight using the old folder.

Like this post
JoanSims

Likes # 0

All good stuff thanks... I really am going to have to get myself an external hard drive so I can do the things you recommend.. although by the look of it Algerian Peter I should be able to restore Windows 7 from the Windows.old file using my Windows 7 installation DVD.. One thing crosses my mind, Does anyone know the nt file number for Windows 8 please?.. rgds J.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

anyone know the nt file number for Windows 8?

Please explain as I get nothing in Google when posting those words in the search box.

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

6.1 for 32 bit

6.2 for 64bit

windows 8

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"like a lot of people I find it is a completely childish effort in comparison to the much more grown-up Windows 7"

Childish things obviously appeal to me, because I think Windows 8 is an improvement on Windows 7.

Yes, it has that tiled interface, but that's designed specifically for touch screens, and it's simplicity itself to switch to the conventional desktop GUI. Otherwise, it runs far faster in all my machines,has SkyDrive integration - excellent if you're a business user, or if you move between computers. It's also the most secure version of Windows ever to be released.

As with most new software it takes a little while to feel at home with Windows 8, but now that I'm familiar with it there is no way I would contemplate going back to Windows 7.

Like this post
xtophe69

Likes # 0

I agree with Joan Having both bought a new Lenovo H520s PC with Windows 8 & upgraded our other Fujitsu PC with the £24 Win 8 upgrade. Previously I had 2 PC's running perfectly well on Windows 7 Home Premium, with Homegroups, networking, and wireless printing all working fine On upgrading none of the above now work and also the PC with the Win 8 upgrade loses it's WEA code every time it's restarted! All in all a disaster rather than the promised improvement! I'm now waiting to afford A new copy of Windows 7 for the Lenovo and will then revert to Windows 7 on the Fujitsu.

Chris

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia