We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Word 2010 problem

Thereferee21

Likes # 0

How can I delete a document from Word 2010. Every time I want to type a new document it shows the last document even if i want to start with a blank document.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sounds as if each time you work on a document Word2010 is saving it as the 'global template' Normal.dotm http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918064

When you open a new blank document it should be a .docx But if you have changed the global template with your text on the page then the .docx will have that text there instead of being blank.

When you first open Word which is your (supposed to be blank) blank document opening as? .dotm or dotx?

That is important so can ascertain if global template is being changed once or everytime.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

You need to reset the default template and this site explains why and how.

http://www.pcdon.com/word-unstable-corrupted-normal-dot.html

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Sorry lotvic I must have been typing as you were posting.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

no prob Pine Man, your link is better as tells how to fix it, mine just explained what it was.

Like this post
Thereferee21

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic and Pine Man,

Thanks

Like this post
Thereferee21

Likes # 0

Hi again Pine Man and Lotvic,

They are all docx but nothing happened. Have I done something wrong?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How are you opening Word and what is your OS?

Like this post
Thereferee21

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell,

I just double click on word and it opens the last document that I worked on my O/S Is Windows 7.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As lotvic and Pine Man have already said you need to repair your Template - instructions in Pine Man's link

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So did you do this:

Please note that normal.dotm can not be deleted if any Word documents are open. Word must be closed in order to perform this action. After all copies of normal.dotm have been purged you can reopen Word, which will go looking for the file. When it isn't found the program will simply recreate it with all of Word's original settings.

It's not uncommon to find multiple copies of normal.dotm, so wait till the search has finished before deleting anything. When all the files have appeared they can be deleted by left-clicking them and pressing your DELETE key.

Close Word

Click on Start>Search>All Files & Folders and type normal.dotm into the "Name or Partial Name:" field.

Next click on Advanced Options and be sure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are checked, along with Search Hidden Files & Folders.

Also, the "Look In:" field should be set to your main hard drive (usually Local Disk C:) rather than to an individual folder, such as "My Documents."

Now you can reopen Word2010

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......