We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting to Belkin modem router

westgolf

Likes # 0

I have just completed a reformat / install of W7.I need to get on-line via my Belkin modem router which is connected by ethernet cable.Can anyone please suggest the method by which I get my pc talking to the router, isp is tiscali ? Thanks.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Windows doesn't normally need any extra configuration to get online with an Ethernet-connected router - so just connect the two with your cable and that should be it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Did you install the drivers for your motherboard as this will no doubt be the reason? Windows 7 does install most but for some reason not all. I have to install one or two drivers after reinstalling Windows 7.

If you know your PC make and model or even better the motherboard it is easy enough to download them to a USB stick to install on your PC.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thank you for this, I have now loaded the motherboard drivers but when I try to connect the trouble shooter is saying I need drivers for the Belkin modem/router. I searched on line (via my other pc) & there are many options.Can anyone please suggest a site to use ? I am so cautious not to get on a duff site & end up with more problems ? Thanks.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Windows doesn't need any modem/router drivers so I'm astonished that you're being told you need them. Was this the Windows 7 troubleshooter or some other third-party utility?

Anyhow, assuming you still can't get online, go to Control Panel -> Device Manager, expand the "Network Adapters" section and tell us what's listed there. If an entry is showing an error then double-click it and tell us what's shown is the "Device Status" box.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

I beg to differ, only on Saturday last I reinstalled Windows 7 and it was necessary to install at least three drivers from my motherboard disk (Gigabyte H77-D3H) my last mobo (ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3)was the same,if memory serves. One of these drivers related to the Ethernet.

westgolf

Would be really useful if you could answer questions. What is your PC make or model? Or do you know what make or model your motherboard is? This is a simple problem to solve if you could supply the info.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

*"Secret-Squirrel...I beg to differ"

I agree that of course Windows needs motherboard and Ethernet controller drivers. Standalone router/modem devices on the other hand don't need them. In fact I've never heard of, or encountered, such a thing as a router driver.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

I think that westgolf is mistaken in that he feels he needs a router driver, it is the motherboard Ethernet driver that is missing and until he answers my questions he is not going to get the help he is looking for.

My apologies for mis-reading your post.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thanks for this, mb is ; Asus M4A87TD , device manager - ethernet controller says - driver not installed code 28, usb controller says the same, I loaded drivers from the original asus disc , any suggestions please . Thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

That is strange if you have the original disk,I use mainly Asus mobo's and never have trouble install what drivers I need using express install or whatever it is called as only missing drivers will be installed.

You will get drivers here.Asus M4A87TD click on Lan and then using the top link click on Global Same with USB.

But I would try inserting your Asus driver disk again and clicking on Asus instAll and seeing if that sorts your problem.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"device manager - ethernet controller says - driver not installed code 28"

Thanks for that. I'm surprised that the drivers on the motherboard CD haven't worked but try here instead on your working PC and download the "Version 5.764" "LAN" driver and see if that works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......