We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows xp virtual memory hang-up

Dasmad

Likes # 0

my old laptop, amilo m-series (40 gb hdd,9gb free 1.27mb ram) is still my main machine, and I used it to install a new satellite internet service and wifi router. the installation completed and internet radio and netbook working perfectly via wifi, i disconnected the LAN cable from the router and attempted to connect via wifi with the laptop. the usual error message "windows short of virtual memory ........increasing paging file etc. appeared , but it was unable to sort itself out, the pc hung up and I had to manually shut down. a week later, I'm still trying to sort it.....things are fine until I try to connect with wifi, when the same message arrives and I end upp with a manual shutdown. please dig me out of this hole, anybody

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

(40 gb hdd,9gb free 1.27mb ram)

Your short on disk space.

and when using the wifi to connect, more virtual memory is require, that needs more disk space so it hangs when not enough room for virtual memeory.

Use something like CCleaner to clear all the rubbish from the machine - cut down on restore points - delete programs you no longer use - move data to external drives.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"1.27mb ram"

Dasmad, can you confirm how much RAM the laptop has exactly. If you're unsure then you'll find that info via Control Panel -> System.

Like this post
Dasmad

Likes # 0

thanks - I take all points made. I've already defragged and c-cleaned, and I think there should be enough memory to increase as windows needs - I've tried letting it take what it wants, but need to try max and min, if and when I can restart, which is now a problem. I meant 1.27gb ram. and I will try to run chkdsk as soon as I get in. there's something about the wireless process that sends it loopy ! any more ideas I'm still interested ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia