We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

opening Word in Win7

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

I have Win 7 and Office 2007. I cannot gat Ms Office 2000 files to open in a text encodong I can read. These documents were created using Office 2000 and XP. When I access the folders on my external hard drive I am asked which text encoding to use. I don't recognise any of them. Any I open are totally uninteligable. Help please. P.S. I have reinstalled Office 200 so I can access 2000 or 2007. Also I cannot find my Microsoft Works. Which programme is this in? Thank you. tedeyenewby

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Have a read of this:

Open Word 2000 docs in Word 2007

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

MS Works will not be there. You should be able to open many of the Works files by first opening Word or Excel and then opening the file.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Thank you Sea Urchin and Woolwell, The document in question is a tabulation of names and addresses.The suffix is.wdbWhen the file is opened I get a list of text encoding to choose from. I'll see what I can do in the meantime.Hopefully the information in the web page I opened will allow me to convert. I'll jst have to suck it and see. Thank you both for your help. redeyenewby

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

wdb is a works data base file and needs to be converted to use in Excel not Word.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Works-Database-Converter.shtml

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says this is a database file. My original answer was based on the title of the thread.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Dear Frait Bat/\0/\, The download did not appear to have downloaded. See the two reviews of this programme. If I did get it to download, how do I use it? Hope you can help, you have in the past. regarfds, redeyenewby

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The best solution is to load up the database into an old copy of Microsoft Works

then export as CSV, or some other file format readable by Excel or Access.

If you only have the database file, this convertor may help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more