We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No signal input to monitor

ponytail

Likes # 0

As I have just purchased a new laptop and as my nephew needed a PC for his school work I decided to sell him mine and donate the money to a local charity.But they ave now returned the PC saying it is full of viruses and does not have office.That is strange as I had the PC checked three weeks before I gave it to him.Anyway I put it all together to see what the problem was but when I pressed the power button on the case it was loose and on looking inside saw it was dissconnected (Broken )but was still able to start PC by pressing the actual switch stem inside but although the PC starts up the monitor says no input signal.I have connected the ethernet cable from the router to the PC.The router is a N ADSL2 + the ethernet cable is plugged into socket Lan 3 but the LAN 3 Led is not lit.Sorry so long anyone any ideas as to why there is no input signal

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Nothing to do with the ethernet cable or the router. Could be a problem with the VGA cable from PC to monitor - make sure it is plugged in securely at both ends.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Also check if it is using the onboard graphics or a separaet graphics card. The number of times I've connected the VGA cable, seen the same message and then realised there was a graphics card installed ....

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Taff - good point - me too!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like it really has been messed with.

Suggest you open it up and reseat all cards (graphics and ethernet) and memory just to be sure.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

I have just taken it back to the PC shop I use and they checked it and said the hard drive has packed up.Not sure what to do is it possible to just replace the hard drive or as they say not worth the expense.Seems a shame too just get rid of it for the sake of the hard drive.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Perhaps a re-statment from someone closer to your know-how than the expert advice others have offered.

1. Power switch has been mauled but you have found a workaround for that.

2. The VGA cable might be faulty, they do go open circuit after long use with meddling.

3. The VGA cable may have been plugged into the wrong socket on the PC. If there are two sockets with identical plugs try the socket away from the others, coming from it own "slice" on the back of the PC.

4. The HDisk would not normally affect the monitor until Windows starts to load. Even if the HD has failed the display would usually work through the BIOS section and hang at the point where Windows should start. At that point it would say something like No bootable disk.

So I think like the others it is a VGA -Monitor problem Blank screen after switch on needs curing first.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

hard drives are cheap (£33 for 500g WD interal SATA drive) its the op system from windows that costs.

Do you have back up disks for the machine?

or do you have an op system CD and the number on the machine so you can load to a new drive?

Linux is free if you do not need windows Open office is free and compatible with windows office documents.

Make sure it boots to BIOS with HDD disconnected.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia