We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

firefox keeps failing

johnnyrocker
Resolved

Likes # 0

it has worked fine for some time and just lately the problem i have with it is thatit will work ok on the day of use but when i come to try it later in the day or the next it fails to open, i have un-installed and re installed several times with the same effect prevailing. ie when installed works fine try next day and it will not open. have run several scans with no effect.

IE 8 Xp pro SP3 sygate firewall avg anti virus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try it with the firewall turned off and see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have Firefox installed on one of my main machines, but over the past two days the webpages have began to crash, with an error message that a detail report will be sent to Firefox.

Haven't done any recent update to Firefox, but seeing this help request, as made me wonder?.

Like the originator of the thread, all checks appear fine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Next time it fails to start try pressing and holding the shift key then clicking on the icon. Firefox should then open in 'safe mode', ie., no add-ons or extensions running. If it opens OK then you will have to apply each add-on/extension one at a time to find the culprit.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

my thanks for the tips so far will work with them and see how far i get

johnny

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

An update for Firefox today to solve the problems it was having.Just use the normal update method.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i have found what may have been a nasty (browser manager?) not listed anywhere but have disallowed it by firewall so will reinstall and see what happens

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

have downloaded ff18 still will not open.

Rdave holding the shift key only works with pc in safe mode if that helps?

johnny

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just a thought. [ sygate firewall avg anti virus ] If that is all the protection that you have maybe give Malwarebytes a run to see if it finds any problems.

Only other thing I can think of is to download Revo Uninstaller and delete Firefox using setting 4.

That would also remove your Favourites so maybe you would have to install them again.

As an after though make sure windows firewall is not running as well.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try installing Chrome and see if you can import your bookmarks. I'd then go to dr yes' link and do a clean reinstall, this would mean removing your profile folder, as well, so you will lose everything, including your passwords, bookmarks add-ons etc. Hopefully you have a written record of your most important passwords.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

ran malwarebytes which found nothing security centre shows windows firewall on but cant turn off as it says is on by default according to microsoft.

johnny

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK