We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Memory help for new Desktop Build please

Audio~~Chip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello

I am trying to find some Good Memory for this Motherboard and Processor combination. Ususal i would use Crucial. I don't want to have to play arround with overclocking if it can be helped. The machine will be a hot machine I think using the processor below. I am looking for a 8GB 2x4GB Kit

Processor is a Intel I7 3770K 3.5GHz Skt 1155, No. 349026 from Ebuyer Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H No. 351597 from ebuyer

I am looking at the DDR3 1600MHz

I am not sure on a cooler yet as I am also worried about fitting near the RAM. One thing at a time though

Maybe you might suggest a better motherboard ? Any Guide would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers Steven

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Probably not the answer you are seeking, but when I purchase items from Ebuyer, I ask their advice on stock specification suggestion and availability. They usually provide a suitable answer. If it doesn't prove to be suitable, then you can hold them to task.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds, I need to order the memory this weekend really as I got to get all the bits together and build then test it.

Thanks

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Maybe there is a better performance memory which is compatable with the motherboard I have choosen or a better non over the top board.

I understand the different speeds but not timming of the DIMMS. I know there are Neil, Balstix Crucial, Kingston, Geil but which is good.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Take your pick,RAM. It will depend on your budget.

I am confused by a couple of statements in your original thread.

"The machine will be a hot machine I think using the processor below."

Why do you think that? Why should this processor run any hotter than say an i5 2500K? If you are concerned about heat then something like this is ideal simple to fit and very effective.

"I don't want to have to play around with overclocking if it can be helped."

Very few people over-clock RAM there is very little benefit.

You do not say what your main use of the PC will be,this info can be helpful.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I use an overclocked i3770k with a sabertooth Z77 MoBo , and 16Gb ( 2x8 ) of vengeance Ram ( 1600 ) , . Comes with a good heat spreader on it , but you can get low profile model as well . If you are going to invest in A good CPU like the i3770k , you really want to go for the best MoBo you can afford .

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If you don't ever over clock then the IvyBridge temp issue isn't a concern for you & the stock cooler should do the job however swap that with even a basic aftermarket cooler like this one click here would make the cleaning/maintenance job much easier & slightly quieter.

I'd say a better mobo like this one click here from Asus should go nicely together with that high end CPU which has WiFi GO should you want to have media sharing in the future.( I believe there is an equivalent Gigabyte product but I haven't used Gigabyte for more than 10 years now so can't help ,sorry)

2x4GB Ram click here I know you're looking for 2x4GB Ram but I'd say go for 2x8GB Ram click here because your Adobe programs love more rams.

Last but not least try choosing a PC case with USB 3 interface builtin at the front panel like this one from CoolerMaster click here has 4 USB connectors at the front panel 2xUSB 2 & 2xUSB 3 which I believe will come in very handy one day. Another feature is that it comes with CoolerMaster's own 700W PSU as well which should be good enough for most power Graphic cards though you haven't mentioned which one you went for.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thank You spuds, Chronos the 2nd, nickf & retep888

Chronus, i read into reviews re the I7 CPU I choose and was lead to believe it runs at very high temps but with you saying about overclocking then thats why it runs hot.

The memory however because there is so much of it, which memory is better than another brand ? Is Standard Crucial worthy being matched against a Processor and motherboard of this quality.

The machine will be used for haeavy media mutlitasking, web work and the main use will be for Animation creation using the Adobe Suites like Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, photo shop which i understand it to be fairly heavy software. The machine is for my Son who is having the machine for christmas to help him develop this animaiton video creation thing and also from Handycam videos like splicing video clips together to make small films clips.

Thanks

Steven.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I would try and get 16Gb of ram if you can , Kingston hyper , crucial ballistic , or corsair vengeance all at 1600 MHz , as it seems the PC will be running some pretty intensive progams . The i7 chip will be fine if not overclocked . Although I would uprate the heatsink from the stock unit . Can't offer any advice there tho , I use liquid cooling . The case will also be factor with regards to cooling as this may limit the size of heatsink yu can use .

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The heat issue is a problem that TIM Intel are using but it is not really a big deal. What I am referring to is on the inside of the chip. Just use the normal thermal grease when you fit your heatsink and you should have no problems. As to the I7 3770K running hotter it might if you install an after market cooler then it should idle at 28 deg C to 31 deg C depending on the ambient room temp. It might hit 39 on heavy use so no big deal.

You still have not mentioned what sort of budget you have for your ram? But if you look at the memory support list this will show you RAM that is definitely compatible but that does not mean that what is not on the list is not.

MOBO. http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#ov

RAM. http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mbmemoryga-z77x-d3h.pdf

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Second link again. Maybe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings