We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE8 and IE9 Not reponding

TN

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 Professional and normally use Opera as my Browser. However occasionally I need IE to access certain web sites. I had been running IE9 but immediately after starting it stops responding (with that message). I took out IE9 via Control panel Update section and then activated IE8 through the same section of Control Panel. I am getting the same result: IE starts but before anything is shown on the page, I get the 'not responding' message. Despite starting and re-starting I get the same message every time. My firewall is not blocking this in any way - I am at my wits end trying to think what the cause is. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Uninstalling IE9 via Control Panel - Installed Updates - should have automatically reverted you to the previously installed version, IE8.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Firstly, before anyone can offer any definite fixes, do you get the same problem when you test using Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)?

Don't worry if you don't know where to find it, just click the Start button and immediately start typing its name and it'll appear in the list at the top.

Let us know how you get on.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.

It should tell you that the dns cache has been cleared,see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
TN

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you: Nortumbria 61 - this was the method I used to get back to IE8 secret-Squirrel: I tried this but unfortunately the same result Jock1e - also gave this a try but still no satisfactory result

To say I am completely at a loss is an understatement!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7, option two. If it fails to correct an error try running again. Sounds as if parts of the OS is corrupt.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I found that Opera rather hogged a number of defaults including, surprisingly, how jpgs were opened. Have you tried setting IE as the default browser?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried resetting I/E/.Tools.Internet Options.Advanced.[You can press restore advanced settings and see if that works,If not press reset just underneath it.

Have you got the latest flash and Java updates installed.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"secret-Squirrel: I tried this but unfortunately the same result"

OK, so that shows us that the problem's not being caused by a faulty IE toolbar or other add-on.

If you're still keen to investigate then here are a couple more tips:

1) When IE stops responding, an event should be logged in Win 7's Event Viewer and that may give us some clues as to why it happened. Have a look at the relevant log entry in the Windows Logs -> Applications section and copy 'n' paste the details here. It may help if you generate an IE crash first so the relevant event will be at the top of the list. If you need step-by-step instructions then just ask.

2) Boot the PC into "Safe Mode with Networking". If IE behaves itself then there's nothing wrong with Windows's system files and we can blame a third-party program that's set to autostart when Windows is running in Normal mode.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just another thought.

Go into device manager and make sure that there are no yellow exclamation marks showing.It may well be looking for a driver update and if you have an unsigned driver that could make it worse.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1E - No response from OP for 24 hours. May be fixed?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...