We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IE9 Hijacks default browser.

rawsongreen

Likes # 0

I use deepnet explorer as my web browser and I make it my default bowser in tools, options etc If I then immediately click a link in an email e.g. it opens in IE9!!!!! Is there a way of making deepnet explorer my permanent web browser? I'm using Windows 7 Home premium.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Apparently this is a problem that is not unknown. Look at these links:

enter link description here

enter link description here

But the Deepnet words say it can be set as default. Ramesh gives a way for XP but whether this is adaptable for W7 ...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

A thought, you have tried 'Start/Control Panel/Default Programs', choose the browser you want in the 'Programs' list, and then click 'Set this program as default' and click OK?

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks johndrew but deepnet is not on the list!

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks again johndrew, your'e first 3 suggestions came to nothing and the last one is only for XP

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If the required program is not on the list you have to use "Associate a file type with a program" instead

This video shows you how:

For Windows 7

PS You may be asked to download Silverlight if you don't have it to view the video

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

Thanks sea urchin but it still comes down to the fact that Deepnet is not on any list or file types.

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

dr yes Thanks. I'm using 64 bit. I think you could be correct about Deepnet, the problem is more complcated than first stated. If I make Chrome my default browser then make Deepnet the default, it immediately reverts back to Chrome.

Like this post
rawsongreen

Likes # 0

dr yes, I'm afraid Deepnet is not on the list and if I get to a page where their are several lines of IE with boxes ticked, Windows will not let me untick them. I tried reinstalling Deepnet but it made no difference. I think I will have to accept things, it's not a big problem but we like our commputers to work as they should!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback