We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a tracking device on a i-Phone.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just a quickie.

Grandaughter renewed her phone contract a fortnight ago and got a new iPhone 4.5 or 5.not sure which.

Unfortunately someone has stolen it and just wondered if there was a way that it could be traced.

I have my doubts but thought that I would ask.

She is a Student and was out at the pub at the weekend but she does not know if it was stolen then or from her accommodation.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Should have said it was not insured for loss as it made the payments to expensive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Looks as though it can be tracked, but only if the facility has been turned on - I guess it hasn't!

Article here

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Thanks for the quick reply,

Got an equally quick phone call saying that she got her phone back, it seams she gave one of her friends it to look after for her when she was at the pub.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

She should activate findmyphone app asap. You can then go to iCloud on any pc and log in, click on findmyphone, click on device and it will show you a map of the phone's location, get it to play a sound or wipe data.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Will get her to do that.Thanks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Sorry for not getting back to you as she got her phone I did not bother looking at your click here.

Just had a look and will send her a copy.Many Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My pleasure, and I've done the same to my phone now I know about it!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've set up my phone and wife's with the app from the iTune store. Each can now be located from the other, or from a PC through iCloud. In retrospect, it seems a bit Big Brotherish, but the facility can be turned off if you don't want anyone to know where you are.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

You never know the moment when you loose your phone but nice to know that there is a way of retrieving it when lost.

I got her mother to forward the information on to her so no doubt she will manage to track it down herself in future.

Although a bit dippy at times this is the first time she had no idea as to where it was.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

She gave it to her friend to look after but forgot about it? Now that's what I call a night at the pub... :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...