We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What are all these partitions on my new laptop's HDD?

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm planning to partition the HDD on my new Lenovo Windows 8 laptop, so that I can store all data files in a separate partition.

I've just had a look at the 1TB HDD in Disk Management for the first time, and the disk is already littered with partitions! Can anyone please tell me what they're all for?

• 1000 MB Healthy (Recovery partition) 100% free.
  • 260 MB Healthy (EFI System partition) 100% free
  • 1000 MB Healthy (OEM partition) 100% free
  • Windows 8 OS (C:) 884.18 GB Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition) 96% free
  • Lenovo (D:) 25 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary partition) 89% free
  • 20 GB Healthy (Recovery partition)

Obviously I know what C: is, and D: contains a folder of drivers. There seem to be two recovery partitions, for some reason - 1 GB and 20 GB, and I have no idea what the EFI system partition or the OEM partitions are - particularly as they are reported 100% free.

Any thoughts on this, please?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'm very grateful for your continued advice.

After the update had been running for over 2 hours, I decided to bite the bullet and I switched off with the power button. When I switched on again, the updates started to be configured until it got to number 20. It then reported "Unable to configure", and the computer restarted itself.

The restart was - thank goodness - successful! So all is well. I guess MS may try to push update number 20 at me again, but hopefully next time it will succeed.

So now my first job is to make restore DVDs, as you suggested. After that, I'll do the partitioning.

One further question, if you have the time, please - should my data partition be a Primary?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

You could be suffering from a problem amny others have reported where a rogue update causes problems. Or it could be that one of the updates did not download correctly.

If you do a reset, rather than allow the system to update automatically, do a manual update and only allow a few to go through at a time. That way you wil find it easier to trap the errant update and you even ease it through.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, xania. I'll check out doing that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer