We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driver updater programmes, are they useful?

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been offered a programme called "Advanced Driver Update" from Systweak inc. through Ashampoo.

Have downloaded and run it. It reports that 14 drivers are out-of-date on my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop and 20 are out-of-date on my HP Pavilion p6325uk desktop. I have used the Device Manager to check and download new drivers for the ones indicated but the Microsoft programme which runs a check reports that the drivers are up to date.

To be able to use the data to download the drivers which the programme has indicated need replacement I would have to pay them in the region of £13.50.

Has any one out there had any experience with this or similar programmes? Both my computers are becoming quite slow at boot up.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Never found them to be much good.Make sure you never download an unsigned driver for anything as Microsoft reacts badly to unsigned drivers.

I would imagine you would get any drivers needed from the HP Site or the Motherboard site.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 1

I am with Jock1e on this one - never found them any good. Having said that you could use it to search and list outdated drivers for you but I would always recommend going to the manufacturers website for the driver you require.

I have used the program you mention for such purposes in the past and I have a few programs from Ashampoo which I like and are quite safe to use. No need to pay to update any driver when you can get them for FREE.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

RISC os user - Both my computers are becoming quite slow at boot up. Very unlikely to be as a result of outdated drivers. Download and Run CCleaner to do a good clean up of "rubbish" on your computer - this will do the trick and you will notice a difference.

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thanks all, have run cclean, will see what the results will be.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

You could also go into CCleaner - Tools - Startup - disable those you don't want to start when you switch on - it does make a difference!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Rules one, two, three, four and five (in my house at least) Never EVER update a driver just because there's a newer version available. Update if you have problems that are driver related, update if the new driver will give you better performance, update because the new driver has features you want/need - but never update just because you can.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger