We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

keyboard problem - does not type letters

jarani

Likes # 0

my keyboard in some situations like now misses some letters unless pressed several times - do I need to replace it or is a pc problem please ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Might be muck and dust. Turn keyboard upside down, shake and tap the debris out.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I generally find that when keyboards start playing up, then its time for a change. Fortunately I buy 'cheapos' and they seem to last for years.

It might be worth trying lotvic's suggestion first, but be careful if there are any loose keys or parts. A quick search on YouTube will find tutorials on keyboard cleaning and key resetting.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I have it from more than one reliable source that you can put a keyboard through the dishwasher. I'm not saying I recommend it - only that I've heard it...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Striped and cleaned mine in the sink the other day. Unscrewed and top half only in the sink the bit with the buttons.

If its a wireless one it could be flat batteries or the receiver needs moving slightly closer.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The security program I'm using has a 'Virtual Keyboard' option ... you can click on an 'on-screen' keyboard (that never gets clogged up) :o) ... Kaspersky Antivirus is the name of it.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows 7 virtual keyboard - click on "Start" (Windows-Logo) then, execute "osk.exe" and Press [ENTER]

Vista - Click the "Start" button and open the "Control Panel."

1. Select "Ease of Access Center" within the Control Panel by double-clicking it.

2. Choose "Start On-Screen Keyboard" from the common tools presented near the top of the next window to activate the on-screen keyboard any time you wish.

XP - Click the Start menu, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and then click On-Screen Keyboard to open On-Screen Keyboard.

To return to your document, place your cursor where you want to begin.

To close On-Screen Keyboard, click Close.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton - I have used the dishwasher method and it worked for me. Mind you, all I wanted to do was to clean out all the muck; it was working OK, just very grubby.

I used a spare keyboard that I had for the few days that I left it to dry.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I had the same problem and just bought another USB basic keyboard from ASDA for £5

Like this post
jarani

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all the ideas - will try

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?