We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Portable HDD not recognised, sort of

Sparky3327

Likes # 0

I've just bought a Maxtor 320GB portable HDD with USB 2.0 connection. When I connect it to my PC it appears as an extra drive as it should but that's where the good news stops. When I click on it I just get the message 'Please insert a disk into drive' In properties it says there is no capacity, no free space and no used space. I tried to format it but got the same 'Please insert a disk into drive' message. It claims to be plug and play but I'm sure I must be missing something. Many thanks, S.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

HDD May need formatting before you can use it. Try right-clicking on the HHD icon which should give youu the option to format the device.

NB Depenbding upon the size of the HHD, you may want to create more than one partition on your new HHD.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try a different USB port. It should not need formatting before use. I've not had to do that with my external drives. It could be a duff unit of course.

Like this post
Sparky3327

Likes # 0

Hi Xania, I tried that but just get the insert disk into drive message. S.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have asked FE to merge your 2 streams

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look for it in disk management

right click on it in there and initialise and format it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features