We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing recovery discs onto new HDD

Jamous

Likes # 0

I have an HP G62-110sa laptop where it appears the HDD died a while ago so I am trying to see if I can get it back up and running again.

I have the Recovery Discs that I created when I bought it and I have also managed to get my hands on a HDD that has been formatted to NTFS (so I'm told)

Now will this just be as simple as installing the HDD and then booting up from the first disc to start the install or is there anything I need to do / check before I do this please?

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Most probably it's already set to boot from the DVD drive so it will install from the recovery discs as usual.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It should be as simple as you stated,

as long as the recovery disks contain an image of the op system and drivers and are not looking for an image on the old drive.

Good luck.

Like this post
Jamous

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies so far.

Okay, so I have swapped out the hard drive and put the recovery CD (Disc 1) into the laptop

Now just after powering up I am getting the message "BOOTMGR is missing - Press Ctrl Alt & Del to restart"

I have changed the boot order in BIOS so that Internal CD/DVD drive is top of the list but I am still getting this message come up

Any suggestions please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That sounds as though it's still trying to boot from the HDD. Did you click F10 after changing the order? Do you hear the drive spin up after changing the boot order and restarting?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm - odd. This seems to indicate that the DVD drive is before the HDD as a default setting.

Like this post
Jamous

Likes # 0

Update: I ran the disk check option in BIOS and then booted up from the CD drive no problems :-)

However.... in a foolish attempt to save a few quid, I bought a 160GB HDD to put in, which would be fine except for the fact that the lappy shipped with a 320GB and when I go to run the HP recovery manager - guess what it says :-(

"The hard drive is smaller than the one shipped with this computer - recovery cannot continue"

Doh!!! One lesson learnt for today. Looks like a trip back to the shop for me

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'