We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't access My Computer or My Documents

mcheathen

Likes # 0

A friend has a PC which is neither on a network or ever on the internet. It has seldom been used but recently she can't open 'My Computer' or 'My Docum,ents'. Everything else seems to work fine. e.g. such as booting up or getting into MS Office applications.

Its hard to imagine how a virus or malware, etc got into the PC as it is an offline stand alone. So could be the possible cause of the problem?

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Which Operating System please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

corrupt windows system fles use inbuilt tool to check

Start - Run (Search if Vista or W7)

type

sfc /scannow

press OK

let windows scan and replace missing or corrupy windows files (this may take awhile)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How full is the harddrive? if nearly full that causes problems. If there is still plenty of room left (more than 25%) then maybe it needs a defrag

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014