We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer ink for epson own brand or other

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello Own brand printer ink is expensive For my Epson Stylus SX535WD own brand is £41.29 for pack of the 4 From the same supplier the cost is £19.79 Is there any evidence that the cheaper ink is as good as the own brand? I am aware that the printer will inform me that I am not using the correct ink, but does this matter?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 1

Many people swear by (good) compatible inks but, I have had 2 Epson printers develop print head problems which have made them unusable. I attribute these problems (maybe incorrectly) to compatible inks. Consequently, I always use own brand inks in my Epson photo printer - I'm not so choosy in my HP everyday printer.

You will no doubt get some strong recommendations for compatible inks from satisfied users.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

I am the complete opposite to marvin42 as I have had Epson printers for as long as I have had PC's and have always used compatible inks with no problems.

So it is really your choice.

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

I have the exact same Epson Stylus SX535WD (six months old), and alongside it my previous DX6050 (so about five years old). They both run fine on cheap compatible inks. However, when using the cheap inks, they are more prone to blockage if not used for a couple of weeks.

There are two easy answers. The more expensive is to run "Posh" Epson inks through every second or third change of cartridge. The second, which is much cheaper, is to simply print one sheet every few days. I print off a work diary on the DX6050 once a week, and that is enough for tip-top printing the rest of the time. If I don't do this, it does block up, and I have to run the darn head-cleaning utility, which rarely works well. Just make sure the sheet has a little mix of each colour, so all cartridges are used.

I do think the compatible cartridges deteriorate in the machine faster than Epson ones - Epson cartridges seem OK after a few months of light use, but compatibles are drier and less functional.

From the compatible price you are paying, you are still paying much more than I do - I get THESE, which work out at £15 for 2 sets, plus a couple of extra black. I can't say how they last in the 535, as the first set is in (and working), but I bought these for the 6050 for all those years, and it is fine.

I also used THIS SUPPLIER for the DX6050, but not yet for the 535

Like this post  
gel

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your comments With my 'old epson' I always used compatible inks but I accept that they do dry out so frequently I did a head clean and it seemed to work Now I have bought a new epson, the old one was about 6 years of age and my financial advisor (guess who) says I must look after it

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use the high yield Stag cartridges in my SX535WD. They seem to have a reasonable life.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

gel Always good to look after your financial advisor ;)

The Epson Stag do indeed last considerably longer than the Apple... but not if you only do a little printing. They'll still dry out, and can be worse for your printer head in the long run. Aside from that downside, they are better value.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

bjh - I'm not heavy colour print user and have not found any drying out with the Stag cartridges. I can go quite a few days without any colour printing. I use a monochrome laser for the majority of my printing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...