We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anti virus software downloads will not install

westgolf

Likes # 0

I am running W7.When I download anti-virus software , the download completes but it will not install, goes through the entire install process until the very end & then says there is an error , any ideas please.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thanks Dr Yes, none of the MS fixes would download as compatible with W7, the other problems/programs download - did nothing ... somehow ... windows security essentials (download) appeared on my screen & would download ... once run as a quick scan all was sorted, the computer is once again a racing machine ? all is now perfect, all new downloads do complete & are fine, I just wonder why avast & malwarebytes & spybot did not show up anything or enable me to sort anything out ?? My Thanks & appreciation to all responses.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

all was fine, then I turned the pc off & restarted a few hours later & all is wrong again, the dvd player will not run any disc ? I have the original download problems - the download completes but the further install fails at the last moment, I have lost some desktop icons, any suggestions please ? Ms security essentials does not show up anything & it will update. Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To be honest you seem to have AVG and Avast on your Pc. That's through reading this thread. Then you install WSE. That worked ok until reboot.

You stated you had Avast on your machine and that you used their uninstaller.

I'll ask again, did you run aswclear.exe in safe mode as advised by Aswil?

Having AVG also, did you run their uninstaller tool? Not familiar with AVG you will have to google it.

Too many security programs, especially antivirus type, can knacker your system.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thanks for this rdave13,please continue with the help.I have searched all program files etc , absolutely everything I know to & there is not any remnant of avast or the file you've mentioned.I did this in safe mode.There were some remnants of avg & I deleted these.I did a restart & re-checked everything & found nothing.One of the desktop icons I had lost was google chrome which I was able to start from main menu.It works but always stops working at the very end of any install,downloads complete to the download folder - but any effort to install fails at the very last moment of the install.The dvd/cd player will not auto-play or manually start.It makes the usual noises & there is a quick flash across the screen as if its ok then nothing.I have checked in autoplay & reset to default for autoplay with media player.When I try to open media player from the main menu it wont, IE opens & works - but always stops working at the last moment of an install - just the same as chrome, any more suggestions please ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Did the system file checker find anything?

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

hi rdave13,can you please clarify on file checker ? I attempted a restore & it would not complete to any restore point , where is file checker ? I can download any browser - no probs, I can surf internet - no probs, I can download software - but not install. The windows fix-it opens & operates - but nothing is improved or repaired.when I attempt to install software - using any of the browsers it says it stops working ?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Have you tried repairing the Windows Installer ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

One thing I would do before trying more repair options is to backup all your documents, mail favourites etc. onto a usb flash drive. Just drag and drop, seeing as the DVD drive isn't working. Try the system file checker and Google iscanut's suggestion of trying a repair of the Windows Installer.

If all fails then a repair might be necessary. Have a look at this article but be aware that any repair carries a risk. click here.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13,thanks for all of your efforts, the command-prompt showed up 100 corrupt/errors, I ended up with the use of my W7 disc, its looking fine - but ; I go on line for latest updates & an ATI catalyst install manager uninstall is required ... which I cannot do, I cant find the original disc (which I had) & I cant progress, its a nightmare, please can you advise / suggest, with this sorted I may be able to get the re-install sorted ... again , many thanks...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad