We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anti virus software downloads will not install

westgolf

Likes # 0

I am running W7.When I download anti-virus software , the download completes but it will not install, goes through the entire install process until the very end & then says there is an error , any ideas please.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

have you got any other security programs that you can run.And did you uninstall your last your last anti-virus using the proper removal tool.

If using I/E try tools.internet options.connections.Lan.And underneath Lan make sure use a proxy server is unticked.If it is ticked you may have problems.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Make sure you are installing the correct version ie, 64 bit or 32 bit.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thanks for this, it now seems I cant download ( & install) anything, I get to the very end of installation & then it says, windows is closing,? please help, what have I got going on with this computer ? everything was fine until I downloaded Avast antivirus (which was so slow in use) , but that stopped working, so I uninstalled it, but the program files for avast will not uninstall, & I have used their own uninstaller, I can download any software to "save" but it wont install ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Avast are having problems lately, especially with Windows 8 so they are trying to fix it. The last update caused XP to reboot to save Windows but was ok afterwards. You need to run Avast's removal tool in safe mode. Do you have the aswclear.exe file? If so run it in safe mode.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

I am unable to download piriform - with the same issues as avg, it gets to the very end of installation & then I get this message; unable to install as the installer has stopped working.I also get ; set up error,msi action failed, I also notice that in my x86 program files there is still an avg folder that wont remove / delete, it says ; cant delete as a file or folder is open in another program ? , close the folder to complete. I am not aware of what is open ? as I dont have avg on the computer to use (as far as I am aware) ? it says it is avg pc tune up ?any further suggestions please

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try in safe mode with networking and see if it runs ok on that.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Try Googling "Windows Installer repair" I think there is a Microsoft program that will repair the installer. Worth a try !

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

every download I attempt of any registry repairer - fails at the install stage, saying the program has stopped working - or IE has stopped working , all spyware scans show nothing (running as administrator) , what next please ???

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try a system restore to before you changed your antivirus.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13 solution of system restore should work,

If not maybe run sfc /scannow and see if that finds any problems.

Sometimes when you cannot download or run security programs it may mean that your computer is infected.

So far you have not said whether your computer starts in safe mode or not.

If it does you can do a system repair and see if that finds any problems or a last good configuration.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing