We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovering Laptop Data with External Device

The Potter

Likes # 0

Is this posible? On the assumption I have killed my laptop through spilling wine on it (see other post: I have killed my laptop, haven't I), I am hopeful of saving the data on the hard drive (only a few files required).

In this day and age is there some gizmo I can buy to do the job? It's a Toshiba laptop and the HD doesn't get power from a cable but rather a semi circle shaped bit of metal. I believe it won't fit my other laptop because of this.

Once again I'm highly doubtful but live in hope.

TP

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Easiest way is to hook it up as an extra drive to your tower pc (if you have access to one). http://www.datarecoverytutorial.com/recover-data-from-failed-laptop-notebook/ scroll down to middle of page, it's a toshiba sata drive in the example. Or you could connect it with a cable to a usb port (see link below for pic)

If you only have access to another laptop then you will need a sata to usb cable like this one: pic of cable as it is a 2.5 hard drive you do not need an extra power source as the usb will provide the power.

You will be able to browse the contents of the old harddrive and copy the files you want to the other harddrive. If you got a caddy you could continue using the old drive as an external Harddrive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

This is a better example and info for sata to usb adaptor StarTech cable "2.5in SATA hard drives don't require a power adapter, as drives can be powered from USB 2.0 cable" Amazon have plenty of choice,for more just do a google for: sata to usb cable

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

Oh my, this is the stuff of my dreams! I haven't researched the last but that looks like it will be the cheapest answer, I do have tower pcs if needed though :) :) :)

Thank you so much, I'm celebrating my birthday later today and you just erased a MASSIVE concern from my head. My birthday is on Wednesday and that is when I will be digging deeper into what you have given me links for and hopefully buying the answer.

THANK YOU for a wonderful birthday present :)

TP

NB: Fingers tightly crossed that I was punished enough by potentially killing the laptop - NOT losing the data (PC's rule hey?!).

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

Sorry, can't see where to click to say the question has been answered wonderfully.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Happy Birthday x

To tick, just click on one of the big grey ticks at the right and it will turn green. When the page is refreshed thread will be marked 'resolved'

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

Hmm, seems I have a problem. I brought something similar to this one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-USB-2-0-to-Hard-Drive-Converter-Cable-FAST-DELIVERY-NEW-/170952840351?pt=UKComputingDriveCablesAdapters&hash=item27cd95549f

My HD connection would need to connect to the bit on top but the plastic around it is too thick to actually connect to my HD. If it isn't too much to ask, please could someone show be what might work for under £10 in the UK? I am happy to install in a PC if need be.

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

NB: If it helps and if it is possible, I can take a photo and upload it of the HD connection part next to a ruler. Please forgive my ignorance, laptop HDs aren't in my field of experience. :(

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Package Contents: 1 x SATA/IDE to USB Adaptor Cable

Looks like no SATA cable was included, you'll need one like this click here or borrow one from your desktop if there is a spare.

Only the IDE connections which you don't need extra cables.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Your Laptop Hard Drive most likely as a clip round it that needs removing before you can connect it to a cable or caddy

Like this post
The Potter

Likes # 0

retep888™ - thank you, that looks exactly like what I need :)

woodchip - thankfully I haven't embarassed myself there - I removed the case the HD sits in ;)

Fingers tighty crossed once again ..... thank you for your responses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more