We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Return to Factory Settings problems

Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

I have a Dell530 Inspiron which came with Winbdows Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7. I am pretty certain I have a virus and wanted to return to factory settings but this option is not now available. I have disc that came with the machine and I made a repair disc for Windows 7. Can I use either of these to format my computer?

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Only Windows upgrade disc - have number for vista on the computer but my disc is just recovery supplied from Dell - have a friend who has same computer and has all files on D drive which is recovery drive - would a copy of these help me?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

If copy is d drive to yours then your recovery disk should work.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Have only upgrade version of Windows 7 and have disc that came with the computer from Dell. The vista number is on the computer. Have a friend with the same machine and her Drive D recovery files are in tact. Could I use thease with serial number on my machine? Sorry to be so long but my first attempts would not post to you

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes my reply didn't seem to work right either :0)

Yes if you copy the files from her D drive to your D drive, then your recovery disk should work OK.

If necessary the serial number an be changed later.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

This virus seems to be eataing up disc space - there is no longer enough room to paste recovery files on to D drive and I am now getting warning that my C drive is full - 50 gigs used since last week.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try formatting D drive and the paste the files.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you boot with the Dell Vista DVD already in the tray? and as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, do you have a W7 install dvd?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Usually Dell DVD is a complete copy of 'Operating System already installed on your pc' which means it behaves like an ordinary OEM full install of the op sys.

My dell XP dvd doesn't even ask for a product key during install (it checks with bios that it's being put on a dell pc) (if put on a different pc it asks for a product key) I do not think that the Vista dell dvd will be any different.

A few months back I installed from my dell dvd to a new harddrive - and had no problems because of lack of dell images or whatnot on harddrive.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Nothing is working so am going to buy Windows 7 disc. Will I be able to format the drive from just putting the disc in or can you tell me the procedure

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Can I just right click on C and D drive and choose format?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)