We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Return to Factory Settings problems

Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

I have a Dell530 Inspiron which came with Winbdows Vista. I upgraded to Windows 7. I am pretty certain I have a virus and wanted to return to factory settings but this option is not now available. I have disc that came with the machine and I made a repair disc for Windows 7. Can I use either of these to format my computer?

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

You have not said wether you have tried any virus scanning , to format your disc will get rid of any photos/letters etc. even if you have since copied them to another disc you might still have copied the virus to that disc. Plus you will have to do a lot of updating as well.

Try a System Restore to a date prior to when you think you caught the virus and also do a virus scan 1st.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

I downloaded Norton power scan and ran this but it did not sort anything. I have used system restore to take the computer back to July and this has not helped. Is there any way round this problem?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows Vista: Dell Factory Image Restore 1 Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.

2 Select Repair Your Computer. The System Recovery Options window appears.

3 Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

4 To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

5 Click Dell Factory Image Restore. NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.

6 Click Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears. NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.

7 Click the checkbox to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, then click Next. The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

8 Click Finish to reboot the system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1 Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press F8 several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.

If you installed W7 it will read the same but the image on the hard drive it will restore form is the Vista image so it will probably reset everything back to Vista.

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Have tried that but when I get to the screen restoreimage I get scanning for image and then no image found. I do not see Dell Factory tools. Will I have to buy a new opereating system?

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Also D drive on computer where the backup files are stored shows almont full on computer but when I click on it it says the folder is empty,

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you formatted when you installed then you will not have the original restore partition intact!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried running the disc that came with the machine?

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Did not format but upgraded to upgrade version of Windows 7 from Vista. Yes - have tried the origonal disc and also windows 7 repair disc but to no avail. Suppose it would be pointless using windows upgrade disc?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do you have a Vista or Windows 7 disk?

and do you have a sticker on the machine with the vista serial number?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features